gadspot NC1000

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ubell

gadspot NC1000

Post by ubell »

Has anyone had any experiance with Gadspot
NC1000 cameras?

http://gadspot.com/index.html

They seem to advertise everywhere, but there is nothing
else on the net about them.
cordel

Post by cordel »

I had sent an email requesting access to a demo and am still waiting for a responce. I'll send another and if I ever hear back will post here any information I find.
Regards,
Cordel

It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt.
-Mark Twain
ubell

Post by ubell »

Well, being the impusive sort, after an assurance from info@gadspot.com that they have shipped 1000's and have a very low return rate, I ordered one from their web site. With standard shipping it arrived the next day.
(We are both in the same state).
There is 0 documentation for setup and usage form the Mac. The CD had a directory with called MACSOFT that contains IPEdit.jar. This was able to find the camera on the provided cross over cable only after a reboot of my MAC.
Support for non-activeX browsers is from a java applet which only has a subset of the funtionality described in the manual, but the camera works pretty much as advertised. I found no glitches in the configuration. It is working on both wired and wireless and I have tested the feature to send email on motion dectect. Sure wish there was a way to throttle that feature!

I don't have a web site to post an image, but I can email one if you want.
I am not sure what quality email image is, it did not seem to change when
I changed the setting from the browser.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Just FYI, you should be able to just add an image to your posts. Look at the Img button when you post.

Phil
cordel

Post by cordel »

They sent me a link to a cam they have on the net. Unfortunatly it wants activex which will not work. The documentation says that it can provide mjpeg and jpeg but gives no referance as to what the paths might be. They refused to provide any more info or further access to the cam :( I'll keep trying to work with them and see what infomation I can find. I don't think they are the actual manfacturer as I remember coming across another camera that looks exactly the same with a diff. name (out of china if I remember correctly).
Regards,
Cordel
ubell

Post by ubell »

The camera should work with a java applet, what OS/browser are you using? On my Mac it works with all the browsers I tried except Explorer, since that wants active X. Many features are not supported by the applet, like sound, camera adjustments (hue, saturation, etc.), firmware download (or even displaying the version number!). I have asked if the web server API can be published. No response yet.
Looking at some of the source on the web page (and reading the forums on the mplayer site) I have determined that you can get a video stream by doing:
wget http://user:passwd@camera/GetData.cgi
I don't know how to display this howerver. The stream starts with:
--IPCamBoundary
Content-Type: image/jpeg

I agree that they don't make the camera. The box says "IP Camera" in big letters on all sides. The cover has a stickon Gadspot logo. I cannot find a manufacturer anywhere on the docs or the device. The manual is definitely not by someone with English as a first language.

(The img button says I need a url to include an image, that seems to say I need a webserver.)[/img]
ubell

Post by ubell »

This camera is a close sibbling to the Gadsopt:
http://www.talitor.com/demo/demo.htm
(It seems to be night time right now so there is
not much of an image.)

The software interface is very similar except that
some of the missing functions on my camera seem to be
present in the java applet on this one!
The layout and colors are the same so I'm sure
its basicly the same thing.
tanktarta

the URL for the current frame

Post by tanktarta »

Ive been playing with this camera a little and have noted a few commands from watching the streams..

The one im using in Zoneminder is http://camera.localdomain/Jpeg/CamImg.jpg which just returns the current frame.

Other commands include

* get current frame index
* get jpeg frame by index number
* get time
* get status

If anyone is interested i could neaten up my notes to provide more detail.

Brett
ubell

Post by ubell »

Brett,

If you want to post what you have, I would be interested.
I have also poked the camera and divined how to set
parameters that are not in the Java API but are
in the ActiveX one.

Mike
cordel

Post by cordel »

So the thing to find out is what are the options that can be passed to the cgi to get the desired output for ZM.
Look something like:
http://user:passwd@camera/GetData.cgi&fps=3&type=mjpeg
If some one can figure that out they would have a chance to get that carmera working.
Gadspot changed the login on their camera so I guess they figure I ask to many questions :roll:
ubell

Post by ubell »

Cordel,

That does start a stream of data coming back.
It starts with the lines:
--IPCamBoundary
Content-Type: image/jpeg

Mike
tanktarta

So far...

Post by tanktarta »

My notes can be found at http://www.tanktarta.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/NC1000.txt. More will follow as time allows.

Brett
seb

Post by seb »

I'd be interested in seeing a demo of the Gadspot..

If anyone has a link, I can't find any :cry:
ubell

Mail image file names

Post by ubell »

The camera sends email with the names
of all the images and the disposition filenames
all the same. On the Mac, at least, this causes
all images viewed in the email client to appear
to be the same thing.
ubell

Motion Detect Sensitivity

Post by ubell »

The built in motion detection seems hyper sensitive. Even at its "low" setting the camera triggers 10s to 100s of times/day looking at a room
where the only change is the light level coming in from the windows.
There is no direct sunlight coming in.