Zoneminder 1.36.33 emptied all events and not recording correctly

Discussions related to the 1.36.x series of ZoneMinder
uuhi

Zoneminder 1.36.33 emptied all events and not recording correctly

Post by uuhi »

Hi!
I've had well functioning zm-box on Debian Bullseye server that has been working long time just fine. Suddenly it just emptied more than 5 Tb of events and the log is complaining "GetCmdResponse stream error: Socket /run/zm/zms-981776s.sock does not exist." As I understand the path to CGI and permissions are correct - not sure though.
System seems to work perfectly well otherwise. It records some of the events occasionally and I can even play them but when trying to watch next event comes "event was not found". Sequentially the event I just watched disappears. I haven't find anything similar on the web. What kind of logs / error messages I should provide in order to provide more information?

Cheers,
iconnor

Re: Zoneminder 1.36.33 emptied all events and not recording correctly

Post by iconnor »

Sounds like your disk is full and it is deleting all events trying to free up space.
uuhi

Post by uuhi »

df says:

Code: Select all

df -h
Tiedostojärjestelmä  Koko  Käyt Vapaa Käy% Liitospiste
udev                 7,8G     0  7,8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                1,6G  1,1M  1,6G   1% /run
/dev/sda1             54G   48G  3,1G  95% /
tmpfs                7,8G  386M  7,5G   5% /dev/shm
tmpfs                5,0M     0  5,0M   0% /run/lock
/dev/sdb1            5,5T  589M  5,2T   1% /media/zm_events
tmpfs                1,6G     0  1,6G   0% /run/user/1000
The disk (/dev/sdb1) appears to be nearly empty... /dev/sda1 is 95% full, the disk where debian and zm lives. Would that cause the problem?
uuhi

Post by uuhi »

Thanks iconnor for clearing my thinking...
Indeed the problem was caused by my /dev/sda1 filled up to 95%. Even though the disk is only for operating system & aps, filling it up appeared to trig "purgewhenfull_event_disk" filter that was supposed to run only when the event storage is filled. I learned something.

The /dev/sda1 was filled mainly by journal log. I diminished its size from 1000M to 100M. Hopefully it will not cause other kind of problem. I guess my system disk is a kind of small.