Help Needed: Setting Up ZoneMinder for Remote Access and Multiple Cameras

A place for discussion of topics that are not specific to ZoneMinder. This could include Linux, Video4Linux, CCTV cameras or any other topic.
Jackzz

Help Needed: Setting Up ZoneMinder for Remote Access and Multiple Cameras

Post by Jackzz »

Hello Everyone,

ZoneMinder is new to me; I've only been playing with it for a few weeks. I've succeeded in getting the bare minimum of setup working, but I'm running into a few obstacles and would welcome some advice from more seasoned users.

Present Configuration:
  • Version of ZoneMinder: [enter your version here]
  • Four cameras total—two IP cameras and two USB webcams
  • Network: Domestic local network
Problems:

Setting Up Multiple Cameras: I've connected the four cameras, but I'm having trouble getting the settings just right for best results. There are times when IP cameras lose connection, and USB webcams appear to slow a little bit. What configurations or best practices ought I to adhere to in order to guarantee consistent and fluid operation with every camera? Should I adjust any particular settings for IP and the USB cameras?

Configuring Remote Access: The ZoneMinder interface should be accessible from a distance (outside the local network). Although I've attempted to configure forwarding of ports on my router, security concerns remain. How can I safely access ZoneMinder from a distance? Exist any suggested procedures or resources to improve security while permitting remote access?

Motion Detection Optimisation: With the default settings for the motion detection feature, I'm receiving a lot of error messages, especially at night. How can those motion detection settings be adjusted to minimise false alarms? Are there zones or sensitivities settings that are more appropriate for a given environment?

Holding & Keeping: I've observed that my vault is rapidly getting full. What are some effective storage management strategies that don't involve losing important video? Is it possible to archive old video to an external device or have it deleted automatically?

I'm excited to make the most of ZoneMinder and will be very grateful for any guidance, materials, or instances of settings that have proven successful for other minitab users.

Thank you in advance.