modify camera field of view

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
4bf9gSBj

modify camera field of view

Post by 4bf9gSBj »

many of my cameras have a 60 degree field of view
has anyone tried to add a second lens to increase the fov
dougmccrary

Re: modify camera field of view

Post by dougmccrary »

Probably not. I add a second camera or replace it...
4bf9gSBj

Post by 4bf9gSBj »

i see lots of clamp on lens for phone cameras
i may try some of those
new life for old hardware
dougmccrary

Post by dougmccrary »

Could work, I guess. Let us know...
mikb

Post by mikb »

4bf9gSBj wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 9:13 pm many of my cameras have a 60 degree field of view
has anyone tried to add a second lens to increase the fov
I have experimented with changing out the lens on a DCS900 (Dlink) to change the FOV, and also the colour/IR response.

Original lens is a colour one (does not do IR/night mode, there is an IR cut filter built in to lens).

I swapped one out for a slightly wider angle lens from a Maplin black/white security camera -- they were the same lens mount so simple unscrew/refit and refocus. This can now see in Infra Red (night use) at the expense of slightly odd colours in the day.

I think it's M12 x 0.5mm thread, same as a Go-Pro Hero/SJ4000/etc. action camera -- which has a very wide view (around 140-170' diagonal, super short focal lengths)

For another, to give it telephoto-zoom capability, I removed the stock lens entirely, leaving a bare sensor, and made a separate mount for a C/CS mount lens from a proper CCTV camera. Being designed for use with a larger sensor, the focal length of this is out of proportion to the tiny sensor in the DCS900, and bestows it with telephoto powers.

What you propose is possible -- depending on how much hacking you want to do! First job, get the exact spec of your existing lens (focal length, and thread type/mounting). Then you will know what you are looking for on e.g. eBay/Amazon for a replacement lens.
rockedge

Post by rockedge »

Very cool. Might be a whole new thing to experiment with...... the "retired" cameras laying around to find lens that will work on other cams.
4bf9gSBj

Post by 4bf9gSBj »

aliexpress has many sets of lens for phones
fisheye to long lens