Linux GUI for ZM Currently Viewer Only Beta

If you've made a patch to quick fix a bug or to add a new feature not yet in the main tree then post it here so others can try it out.
Jiberjaber

Post by Jiberjaber »

jameswilson wrote:does it throw this immediately or after a period of time?
Imediatly, with it being repeated untill I clicked OK on any one of the repeated windows. Will try the new version :)
------
Regards,

Jason
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

yeah please do as i dont know what this is. Im not sure how it will work on all distros as its only tested to work on redhat and suse.

It says you need
GTK+ 2.0 or higher
glibc-2.3 or higher
and CUPS for some reason (its a printing thing)
What distro you on and what spec of machine?

James
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Jiberjaber

Post by Jiberjaber »

jameswilson wrote:yeah please do as i dont know what this is. Im not sure how it will work on all distros as its only tested to work on redhat and suse.

It says you need
GTK+ 2.0 or higher
glibc-2.3 or higher
and CUPS for some reason (its a printing thing)
What distro you on and what spec of machine?

James
Aha... I think I killed CUPS so it doesnt load, I can try that now before bed :)

*EDIT Just checked, CUPS is running, I would have thought I have most of the uptdate bits.

I am running FC4 on a P4 2.3G with 512M ram (another 512 to go in tomorrow when I get back to the office to pick it up).

Hmmm...
Last edited by Jiberjaber on Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
------
Regards,

Jason
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

i must admit i havnt yet tried without it,as it just worked on my fc3 cordel distro ctu linux devel box, so im learning this too.

James
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
Jiberjaber

Post by Jiberjaber »

Well for completness, I am Yumming the updates tonight to see what happens tomorrow over my coffe before work :)

/off to bed :)
------
Regards,

Jason
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

lol oh ok mate i take it then i didnt work with cups enabled.
sorry just say your edit
*EDIT*
maybe this is a fc4 issue. I might have to get fc4 and see i doubt your update will help. The other thing thats possible si there is something wrong with the url's as there is absolutly no error checking yet. try changing then to a jpeg on a known webserver and copy and paste the path from your browser into 4 lines of the text file

James
James Wilson

Jiberjaber

Post by Jiberjaber »

You're right, no change with the updates.

However...

Placed the url of my Axis video server in the txt file 4 times as suggested and I get as far as the buttons on top etc. No video though. So it must be an error in the strings I was putting in for the local zm server (which may also be the problem with the zm4 prog in the other thread!).

Not got much time to play this AM, so might leave it till this evening if I get chance.
------
Regards,

Jason
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

ok can you let me have a look at one of your url's i think this is the problem, you need to use a jpeg only path ie not the mpeg or mjpeg one

James
James Wilson

jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

UPdate:
Think I have got the bugs on live view sorted
4 fps max on single cam
2 fps max on quad
2 fps max on 9 way
1 fps on 16 way

I have had this version running on my server now for 4 days. uses approx 6% cpu and 25 Mb in quad split. Let me know what to add next. Obviosuly more fps is needed but that requires the raw stream or shared mem access , both of which im currently unable to do. This will happen ultimatly and raw will probably be first (co i need it in zm4ms)

Hope its good for you

James
James Wilson

jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

update, this one is temp in the web root folder non zipped as my windows machine is a bit busy at the moment (mid counter strike) I have fixed the app so it properly full screens now and made it a bit quicker in places. Anyhow let me know (PLEASE!!!)

James
James Wilson

jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

and some screen shots

Thes images should be full screen without titles etc
Last edited by jameswilson on Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Wilson

maciekc

Post by maciekc »

Good application.
My wish list is:
- reduce CPU utilization - maxfps, using raw:)
- option to run quad without rescalling images - will be much faster
- zoneminder image in the corner - to be fixed:)
- command line arguments - not to show menu - when you only want to view cameras on cctv monitor without allowing person to change anything
- cycle view

The most important IMHO is to use raw because encoding and decoding jpeg's is probably the most cpu intensive thing in whole program.
Please write what do you think about my wishes.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

reduce CPU utilization - maxfps, using raw:)
I agree once i have added this to the ms version i will add it to the linux version too

Code: Select all

option to run quad without rescalling images - will be much faster 
Im not sure how much faster it would be, but i will look into this. Also it will be difficult to place the images unscaled as if you are using 2 cams as bttv cards, 1 640x480 ip cam nad a megapixel it wouldnt work. Plus im not sure how i caould code it to place the images equally regardless of desktop resolution. I will be changing the scaling soon to have anti-alaising and interpolation (like the ms one) but i need to read a lot more yet, as this isnt something suported by the ide yet.

zoneminder image in the corner - to be fixed:)
agreed

command line arguments - not to show menu - when you only want to view cameras on cctv monitor without allowing person to change anything
I agree but i think i might have a settings file rather than a command line switch. The reason for the buttons at the top instead of full screen images is because ultimatly i want to run without a keyboard, ie mouse or touchscreen only. I might adda righht click event or a top right position opens menu kind idea though i will investigate the possibilties.

cycle view
How would you ideally like the cycle to work?

I agree the raw support is essential but is also new ground to me and this is my first ever linux app. If/once i see code /write code. that understands the images displaying them will be aesy. PLease note i havnt even looked at this yet, but will be soon as i plan to upgarde to 1.22 myslef in the next few days.

James
James Wilson

maciekc

Post by maciekc »

Im not sure how much faster it would be, but i will look into this. Also it will be difficult to place the images unscaled as if you are using 2 cams as bttv cards, 1 640x480 ip cam nad a megapixel it wouldnt work. Plus im not sure how i caould code it to place the images equally regardless of desktop resolution. I will be changing the scaling soon to have anti-alaising and interpolation (like the ms one) but i need to read a lot more yet, as this isnt something suported by the ide yet.
I always use images the same size - only local cameras without interlace 352x288 - so the quad without rescalling is almost ideal for screen resolution 800x600 - this one I use to output the screen to TV.

Placing should be set manually via config file in my opinion - this option should be intented to mount tv screens like these in shops not for normal use by people sitting next to computer.
I hope you now understand what is my goal.
I agree but i think i might have a settings file rather than a command line switch. The reason for the buttons at the top instead of full screen images is because ultimatly i want to run without a keyboard, ie mouse or touchscreen only. I might adda righht click event or a top right position opens menu kind idea though i will investigate the possibilties.
Why not. Settings file is also good, but add command line option to specify which config file to use that will allow us to use simple "profiles".
How would you ideally like the cycle to work?
Quad for 16 cameras changing four cameras every time. Or simple cycle single(fullscreen) with specified cameras.
The cameras to cycle should be specified by config file, or even have few diffrent cycle modes.
F.e. on the first cycle mode you have quad cycle which I described before, and second mode would be single. What do you think about that?
I agree the raw support is essential but is also new ground to me and this is my first ever linux app. If/once i see code /write code. that understands the images displaying them will be aesy. PLease note i havnt even looked at this yet, but will be soon as i plan to upgarde to 1.22 myslef in the next few days.
I think that this raw format shouldn't be hard to implement. I'm not a programmer, so I couldn't get it working. Windows app IMHO shouldn't have raw option - it will be too much bandwidth inefficient, but if you have gigabit link to your zm, why not:)
ps. 1.22 is great especially new event viewer.

I have to see your windows app. Never have time to try it. I will make new zm installation, so I think that I will use it on clients computers.
Thanks for good work! Please tell me how can I help you!
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I always use images the same size - only local cameras without interlace 352x288 - so the quad without rescalling is almost ideal for screen resolution 800x600 - this one I use to output the screen to TV.

Placing should be set manually via config file in my opinion - this option should be intented to mount tv screens like these in shops not for normal use by people sitting next to computer.
I hope you now understand what is my goal.
Im not sure i agree. I see what your saying that you always use a particular size but i for one dont. I aslo aim to get this to the tv out of the gfx card ultimatly. I think once we move to raw images the rescaling will not be an issue. I am not convinced on thios one,

Why not. Settings file is also good, but add command line option to specify which config file to use that will allow us to use simple "profiles".
True i like your thinking here. I will see if i can impliment command line switches
I think that this raw format shouldn't be hard to implement. I'm not a programmer, so I couldn't get it working. Windows app IMHO shouldn't have raw option - it will be too much bandwidth inefficient, but if you have gigabit link to your zm, why not:)
ps. 1.22 is great especially new event viewer.
I personally need raw support on the windows viewer so i will definetly be implimenting this lol. btw zm 1.22 is nothing to do with me, the god that is Phil is the one responsible
Please tell me how can I help you!
Do as you are ideas, bug finding etc all needed as i dont have time to write these things and fully test them in the little spare time i actually have! lol

James
James Wilson