Switching to cambozola streaming

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
peterthevicar

Switching to cambozola streaming

Post by peterthevicar »

Using 1.19.1pre, mozilla-firefox

I was using jpeg streaming which worked OK but would like to switch to cambozola for the extra features.

I've done the following but still getting jpeg streaming when replaying events:
1) Install j2re and plugin
2) Copy cambozola.jar to /var/www
3) Test cambozola via it's README.html file - works fine, it's 3am in Manhattan and not much traffic!
4) Changed ZM options via console to CAN_STREAM=yes, cambozola ticked, path = /cambozola.jar
5) Go to a saved event (which was saved when jpeg streaming was enabled) and play it back

When I ask for the image properties I see ........zms?mode=jpeg..... and it's not running the cambozola client.

Any clues?

TIA, Peter
zoneminder
Site Admin

Re: Switching to cambozola streaming

Post by zoneminder »

Hi Peter,

The first thing I notice is that in point (4) setting CAN_STREAM to 'yes' indicates that your browser can handle the streams itself. The help on that options explains further

<i>Selecting 'yes' will tell ZoneMinder that your browser can handle the streams natively, 'no' means that it can't and so the plugin will be used while 'auto' lets ZoneMinder decide.</i>

so you should change that to 'no'. On point(2), is that your actual web root? Sometimes it can be /var/www/html in which the .jar file will be inaccessible. The simplest way is sometimes just to copy the cambozola.jar file to the same directory that ZM is in and set the path to just 'cambozola.jar'. Once it's working you can fiddle around with it. It also doesn't matter if when an event was saved, it will work with streaming either way.

Phil,
peterthevicar

Post by peterthevicar »

Thanks Phil,
I copied cambozola.jar into zm, changed CAN_STREAM to 'no' and it 'works'.
It's an appalling picture, all half frames and strange colours but I guess that's cambozola rather than zm.
I think I'll stick with native streaming for now but at least I know it's there if I need it.

Thanks again, Peter
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Check that ZM_PATH_ZMS is set to use nph-zms rather than just zms as apache can bugger up the output which confuses Cambozola,and sometimes Mozilla et al.

Phil,
peterthevicar

Post by peterthevicar »

No - I must have lost that setting somewhere along the line. Back to nph-zms now and the streaming's fine with cambozola.
Thanks for that.

Peter
peterthevicar

Post by peterthevicar »

Incidentally the nph-zms setting DOESN'T work with firefox native streaming - presumably that's why you supply both!
Peter
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Interesting, I don't know why that should be. nph-zms _should_work ok with everything though zms will also work on systems where apache (or whatever web server) doesn't mess up the stream. What do you get if you try it with FF?

Phil,
peterthevicar

Post by peterthevicar »

With zms I get good native streaming, with nph-zms I get an empty frame. This is with CAN_STREAM=auto, cambozola not ticked.
I switched back and forth a couple of times and it always worked with zms and always gave an empty frame with nph-zms.

If it's of interest to you and there's any other test I can run I'd be happy to help.
Personally I'm very happy to use nph with cambozola and zms otherwise so I'm not whinging!

ATB, Peter

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.6) Gecko/20040322 Firefox/0.8
steltek

Post by steltek »

I can confirm this. nph-zms doesn't work with FireFox (shows a broken image) but works with Cambozola and vice versa.