Questions for new install :?:

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
madlinux

Questions for new install :?:

Post by madlinux »

I need to get a good solution together for my companies security needs.
I need to be able to monitor and record 7-8 cameras, so far I have been having poor luck getting Zoneminder to work in Ubuntu, is there a preferred distro that is tried and true for Zoneminder? I see that a lot of people are using Fedora but would like to see if that is the consensus.

I am also wondering what type of box I should put together to run what I need? Will 7-8 cameras running at 640x480 be to much for a P4 3.0G with 2 gigs of ram?

I appreciate any ideas or suggestions.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Phil develops on Fedora so that is the safest bet that it will work with little trouble and the readme is also based on RH/Fedora. Any RH based distro should be okay as well as they would have the same command structure for the most part and you can still follow the readme.
I would think that a P4 3GHz machine should be sufficiant.

Cheers,
Corey
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

I don't think Ubuntu can be at fault - although maybe it's peculiar sudo rights root management can sometimes trip some software.

I use Debian unstable and ZM runs fine on that. Ubuntu is based on Debian but as mentioned, has some "gotchas" with other programs. I'm betting it will run ok on most distros, but some may need more tweaking than others and may need more experience with linux.

But if you're looking for the easiest route and have no favouritism, then using Fedora might be the smoothest path.

As for Hardware, I'd use what you've got first - or give more info. If you have IP cams then I think you'll be borderline if you want to use colour and > 5fps, whether you want to just record or use motion detection, but there are a lot of variables so might be best to try your existing hardware as a sandbox to play with zm and see how the load balances out. You can tweak the settings almost indefinately to compromise between quality and load.
johnc10

Post by johnc10 »

If you are going to use Fedora, find what RPMs are available for ZM e.g. FC4 versions and use that version of Fedora first. I am using FC5 and had fun and games getting it to work with ZM v1.22.1 as I had to compile the source myself. It works, but I had to hack part of the code which does "su -c" to get it to start, but that led to other problems which I've worked around. As for the hardware, best to try it and you should be able to tweak ZM to make it work as you want.