Multple Wired cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
rtsam

Multple Wired cameras

Post by rtsam »

Hello,

Not sure if there is a solution...

I need multiple wired outdoor camera's... however.... I am looking for a solution that would allow me to combine the signals to a single wire (coax) outside the building.
The signals would then be split back up at the Zoneminder machine.

Are there any products that will do this?

Thanks
Shaun
RedFlyer

Post by RedFlyer »

Hi !

How many camera per cable ?
________
VAAAPP
Last edited by RedFlyer on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
cordel

Post by cordel »

The only way to do this that I am aware of would be to use a modulator/demodulator. I know that there are some commercial products out there but I'm sure the cost is fairly high for a hobbyist. I have seen them though,
There are also modulators that you can purchase to put each camera on a TV brodcast channel (UHF 23-48 or CATV 63-90 for example) that might work for you. I haven't tried the latter but I do have one of those here and might test with a tvtuner card if I can find the time.
I currently just use it so that I can see selected cameras on my TV's.

Regards,
Corey
RedFlyer

Post by RedFlyer »

Hi Corey !

There is a cheap solution, but this require that camera are powered locally.
We can transmit four camera signal with a CAT5e STP cable (or CAT6 for better isolation) by using balun adapter.
These baluns have BNC connector on one side and RJ45 at the other end. they convert the signal from 75 ohms (BNC) to 120 ohms (UTP).

If you want more infos, tell me and i'll PM you sheet of this product.

Best regards,

Oliver
________
NEW MEXICO MARIJUANA DISPENSARY
Last edited by RedFlyer on Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

following on that guy has a coax he wants to use i think cat 5's are out but i must admit thats the way i do most things now!

You can get commecial modems but i have only used one and it only takes 2 cameras. another way is to multiplex and demux but again expensive. Usually on small sites its cheaper just to recable, but if your a keen solderer and dont mind messing with veroboard, id knock one up if i were you. All you need are some off the shelf modulators and then a maplins/rs for the reciver parts. But to be honest id get the catalogue out and decide to recable it lol

James
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Digitise them and then use a single piece of cat5 instead of single coax?

Axis have analogue -> digital converter boxes, but again - not a cheap option for multiple cams. This is different from the converter before, this provides each analogue camera with a mjpeg stream and an IP address. Also unsure if your reason for going single-wire is neatness (cat5 beats coax) or because you've already got the coax up and don't want to add more. If latter, ignore this suggestion. :)
cordel

Post by cordel »

I use baluns for all my cameras and I must say that it my prefered method. I only use the modulator so that I can view the cams on local tv's. IMHO using CAT5 is cleaner than running coax and if planed correctly the best way to go.
It's best to do some research as there are several ways to transport video/audio/controls. You should find what best suits your needs.

@Oliver,
Thank you for making the suggestion as I didn't think to, I just answered the question.

Regards,
Corey