Axis 211 & infrared

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
2tomcats

Axis 211 & infrared

Post by 2tomcats »

Dear all,

a friend of mine asked me to set up a surveillance system for his home. As money isn't really the critical point here i thought of using some "Axis 211". Those are offered as a bundle with outdoor housing, mountings etc.
My only concern is the somewhat dim enviroment light at night. My first thought was using some halogen emitters with motion detectors. But due to his touchy neighbours this isn't really an option. But what about infrared floodlights?
Regardless of any discussions about heat, lumen, wavelength, costs, etc. that are related with those lights, how much does the mentioned camera take advantage from IR light?

Uli
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

James or someone else may have the definitive answer here but I think most cameras will benefit from some degre of IR illumination. Whether it is enough for your requirements I can't say. A lot will depend on the range of the target from the camera and IR source apart from anything else.
Phil
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

most cams will benifit and be able to use 715-730 nm IR but anyhting above this will require a proper ir camera ie the 830's and the 1000 nm emitters. If you can get a freq responce chart from axis then i will have a look at it. But you will get slight focus drift so either back focus your cam at night with ir on, or use an ir specific pref aspherical lens
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk