How do I prepare to go headless - software?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
jjleprikon

How do I prepare to go headless - software?

Post by jjleprikon »

I have been lurking here for a while and have put together a system using the ZoneMinder FC3 Distro v1.21.3. I installed the desktop, along with the zm software so I could get started. I think I'm about ready to take the plunge and go headless.

I have never built a headless server, so what steps do I take? Here is what I think I need to do, could someone fill in what I miss?

- Change default run level to 3 (don't know how, but I'm sure one of my friends forum search or google search can help)
- Be sure ssh is running (I think it is)
- Disable video, keyboard, and mouse in bios
- Test, Reboot, and hope for a single beep.

Am I missing anything? Since I'm just getting started, is there any advantage to reinstalling the OS without the desktop component?

If something goes wrong do I just reset the bios to get the video, keyboard and mouse back? or is there a key I can hold down to get them recognized?

I was prepared to spend a month or so wresstling with this, but so far it has been too easy.
cordel

Post by cordel »

If your using my distro (New FC6 Based on the way as well as a more comercial version to follow it) you can install it headless to begin with as it is one of the options in the installer.

The other options are you can have it boot up as run level 3 by editing the /etc/inittab and set the default from:

Code: Select all

id:5:initdefault:
to

Code: Select all

id:3:initdefault:
or just type init 3 in a shell but you will still boot into 5.

ssh is installed and running by default on all the ZM CDs. Just make sure if you have a firewall enabled that your configured port for it is allowed to pass.

Regards,
Corey
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

The only thing you *need* to do is ensure the BIOS is set to NOT wait for any keyboard input on error - eg - missing monitor or keyboard. That's it.

Don't disable video in bios, one day you'll need to plug a monitor in (if the network fails, NIC or you manage to break sshd)

You don't even need to disable the desktop - it can be useful to keep running even without a monitor. Run something like x11vnc or one of the other many remote desktop programs and you can use any gui-only apps. Only thing is that if you do this, make sure the desktop locks or has a login prompt so that nobody can just plug a keyboard and monitor in and get busy.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Or you may do like I sometimes do and configure getty to use a serial port if you have one to spare.
You can find some pretty descent instructions here http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Remote-Serial-Console-HOWTO/

It covers several gettys used in diff distros. It looks more daunting than it really is.

Regards,
Corey
jjleprikon

Post by jjleprikon »

Thanks for the tips! I am glad to hear that I can leave the video capability intact. I have never used VNC, but it may be time to check it out. I'll probably leave the video and desktop running (at least to start with). I just got a gig of ram to install in this machine so hopefully that should help. I do have a login prompt at boot, and I'll look for an option to lock the desktop after X minutes, I'm sure its in there someplace.

Regarding the serial console:
It looks more daunting than it really is
I hope this is the case, I took a look at it, it looks detailed to say the least! You never know, I may get bored some day and need a new project to try!