ZoneMinder on laptop

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
kubota2550

ZoneMinder on laptop

Post by kubota2550 »

I need to make a "portable" security system that I can easily move around to look at different areas of suspicious activity. I would like to use a laptop (it can be easily secured). Does anyone have any experience with a ZoneMinder compatible capture card with USB or PCMCIA connections suitable for a laptop?
Knobee

Re: ZoneMinder on laptop

Post by Knobee »

kubota2550 wrote:I need to make a "portable" security system that I can easily move around to look at different areas of suspicious activity. I would like to use a laptop (it can be easily secured). Does anyone have any experience with a ZoneMinder compatible capture card with USB or PCMCIA connections suitable for a laptop?
It should work fine with any USB camera that is supported by video4linux. I've not run it on a laptop per-se, but the devices I've used would connect to a laptop just fine.

Best bet: give it a try!

K
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

IP cameras? Then the laptop can be entirely wireless.

(I take a wifi laptop around our site when adjusting angles etc. Although it's not hosting ZM itself, there's no reason why it couldn't given cpu/hdd)