Box has recently started freezing

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
jjleprikon

Box has recently started freezing

Post by jjleprikon »

Hi I am using Cordels v1.21.3 distribution and have had it running for a while. Shortly after I installed some updates related to daylight savings time and configured for no-ip.com, the machine started freezing at seemingly random times. Sometimes while i was logged in in the middle of an ssh session. I removed the no-ip configuration, but that has not resolved the issue. I have looked in the system log and not seen anything obvious (not that I really know what to look for). Is there some other log to look at? I was going to reinstall, but that would take me back to the old daylight savings time problem. Any suggestions?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Where did you get the updated tz package?
And are you sure it's compatable with FC3?

I'm very sure it has nothing to do with the noip package as it normaly installs with the default packages unless you manualy unselect it during the install and I use it on several of my servers.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Does it freeze when ZM isn't running?

I'm thinking hardware issue, getting too hot, bad drives, bad memory etc. Can be a royal pain to diagnose seemingly random issues like this. :/
jjleprikon

Post by jjleprikon »

Flash_ wrote: I'm thinking hardware issue, getting too hot, bad drives, bad memory ...
On this one Flash_ is (umm.. being non gender specific) THE person! I pulled the cover off the case and let it sit over night, booted it up the next morning, and has been running happily for a day without freezing and without the cover. I apparently have some case cooling issues! I was running the box without the cover most of the time I was building it, so I guess around the same time I did the timezone upgrade, I also decided to put the cover on it.

I have a 2U case with 2 good fans in the front, a fan in the power supply (that blows into the case) and a empty spot for a fan in the back. I'm going to install a fan there and have it blow air out of the case from the back. I think I will also try one of those fans that fit in a pci slot to cool the video card which gets very warm. If that doesn't do it, I have another fan I may mount on the top part of the case near the drives.