Trying ZM again & want to get equip specs right this tim

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Mark Ward

Trying ZM again & want to get equip specs right this tim

Post by Mark Ward »

I had a good try at Zoneminder last year, but I never really got it sorted properly. Having completely messed up my Suse10.1 install I now want to start again from scratch. I have some other applications running on other machines under Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty" so would prefer to use the same platform for my brand new Zoneminder box.

What spec PC would I need to run a dedicated Zoneminder box using 4 Cameras on a 4-Chip BT878 Card (which works fine in Ubuntu) and 4 IP Cameras?

I'd like reasonable resolution too if possible. Is 640x480 at, say 3 FPS (which bursts of faster when motion detected) too much to ask? I found 320x240 inadequate last time I tried. I'm hoping storage space won't be too much of an issue as I'll be using a 750gb HDD with archive storage (daily or weekly as necessary) also available on a 10TB+ local server.

Just how powerful a PC (CPU & Memory) would I need? I'm prepared to buy what I need but there's no point going too far beyond what's necessary.

Also,

Any 640x480 capable Camera Recommendations?

Wired
Can anyone recommend a good, reasonably priced, around 480TVL cameras? I'm currently considering the VIS200E (Colour 480TVL Sony 1/3" Super HAD CCD 0.1Lux 78Deg View Angle Bullet Camera) from http://www.x-vision.co.uk but open to suggestions, particularly as the lenses on these may not be appropriate to my intended install locations.

IP Camera
I know Axis are recommended for the IP Cameras so my first thought was the Axis 207, but the 1/4'' Micron progressive scan CMOS is worrying me, wouldn't a 1/3" CCD be better? I'd also like to power these IP cameras using PoE.

Thanks,

Mark.