URGENT: D-link or Panasonic with POE

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
socsuser

URGENT: D-link or Panasonic with POE

Post by socsuser »

Hi, I have two brand choices for a project with which I am using ZoneMinder and I want to be 100% certain that I pick the right cameras for the job.

My manufacturer choices are D-link and Panasonic. I also must run Power-Over-Ethernet (POE) to these units. What unit or units have the best track record? I also realize that some of the units can be converted to POE via a conversion dongle of some sort.

Please advise.
cordel

Post by cordel »

See the hardware list in the Wiki, really neither one Panasonic would be the better of the two but not all all models for either are compatible. You have to do your homework with those manufactures. I would suggest Axis.
pathway

Post by pathway »

I tried the cheap-o D-Link DCS-1110... and it doesn't work with Zoneminder. Avoid this camera.

There may be D-Link cameras that are POE and work with ZM, but I doubt it.

The Panasonic is probably okay, but I haven't tried one yet.

I use the POE Toshiba IK-WB02A. Nice camera. You can buy it in a kit with the lens and mount, or just the bare camera. If you get the kit, it's a good deal... especially if you know weather you need a zoom or a wide-angle lens.

--Pathway
AmmarossDanan

Post by AmmarossDanan »

If you're really tight on budget and can't afford a PoE switch or PoE cameras, you could (and I do not really advocate this, but it works) make your own PoEs by clipping the power cord and hooking it up to a couple wires off the ethernet cable that are unused (like the brown pair). I had a couple Axis 2100s left over from an older age (might have been the Cretaceous) that needed to be in PoE-only locations. The runs were only 20m and has no problem. I wouldn't offer it as a "professional" solution, but works well in a bind.
Ammaross Danan
socsuser

Post by socsuser »

Pathway, looks like the only camera that I can get quickly enough will be the Toshiba IK-WB02A. I don't see this model reviewed readily with ZoneMinder, but you're saying that it works perfectly? Not sure if it is the kit package or not, but it runs around low to mid $400 range.

Thanks much!