Authentication with zms/nph-zms

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
rakhbari

Authentication with zms/nph-zms

Post by rakhbari »

Hi,

I'm very sorry if this has already been answered, I did a search in forums/faqs/readme and didn't see anything on it.

I have a need to invoke the streaming server (zms) programatically on behalf of a user that's already logged into my own webapp. I understand that when a user logs into ZM's console they get a ZMSESSIONID cookie. And when they click on any monitor (that's been set to monitor mode) the URL to zms/nph-zms has "auth=<some-hex-value>". I've noticed that the sessionid and auth values are not the same.

Where does this auth hex-value in the zms URL come from? :? Can I invoke some command that gets me the auth param value that I can use in subsequent calls to zms/nph-zms?

Somewhat related question: What exactly is the difference between zms and nph-zms (non-parsed header)? By my ZM install defaults nph-zms is called, but I'm wondering if one performs better than the other or vice versa? Feel free to point me to an already written FAQ or README on this one. I've read lots of your docs for everything else. It's very possible I missed something.

Thank you, once again, for all your help.

Cheers,

Ramin
:)
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Can't help you on the cookie, but I can on the zms vs nph-zms. The files are the same. In theory, adding nph to the title tells apache not to parse the headers. However, some versions of apache have problems with this, and so the plane zms title is available. In theory, nph-zms should be faster, but if it has memory leaks, or processes hang around after the web browser has left, try zms.
rakhbari

Re: Authentication with zms/nph-zms

Post by rakhbari »

rakhbari wrote:Where does this auth hex-value in the zms URL come from? :? Can I invoke some command that gets me the auth param value that I can use in subsequent calls to zms/nph-zms? :)
I did a bit of research into this and finally figured out how to construct this auth param in the zms URL. Since no one else replied to this post I thought I'd share it:

The auth param in the zms URL is a MD5 hash of a string that's a concatenation of the following pieces of data:

Code: Select all

<username><password_hash><time[2]><time[3]><time[4]><time[5]>
username = self-explanatory, ie: admin

password_hash = The output of the MySQL password() function as is stored in the zm DB Users table. For example, "admin" passed through the password() function equals "*AB5E5865B02289309E1E7A36618B30D40E989F68".

time[x] = These are specific pieces of the array element that's returned when you make a call to PHP function localtime(). To get full info on localtime() and all other PHP date/time functions go here: http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.localtime.php. The array breaks down as follows:

time[0] - seconds
time[1] - minutes
time[2] - hour
time[3] - day of the month
time[4] - month of year (0-based, ie: 7 = August)
time[5] - Years since 1900 (107 is 2007, meaning 1900 + 107)
time[6] - day of the week
time[7] - day of the year
time[8] - whether or not daylight savings time in effect

So for example, if you wanted to produce the auth param for username "admin", password "admin", with localtime of Auguest 2nd, 2007, 4:22 PM, the auth_key (concatenated string) would look like this:

admin*AB5E5865B02289309E1E7A36618B30D40E989F681627107
Then you MD5 the above string and end up with:

d65ad34bd1e61c4bd664a39cdb15d07a
Obviously, by design, this auth param is only good temporarily since in includes temporal components (hour, day, month, year). It can be used in the zms URL or as the "-A" param of the zmu command line.

If anyone is trying to produce this auth param in Java, here's a piece of code that'll do that:

import java.util.Calendar;
import java.util.Date;
import java.util.GregorianCalendar;

import org.apache.commons.codec.digest.DigestUtils;

public String getZoneMinderAuthHash ()
{
	StringBuffer authKey = new StringBuffer ("admin");
	String authHash = null;
	String adminPwHash = zmDao.getAdminUserPassword ();
	authKey.append (adminPwHash);

Calendar cal = new GregorianCalendar ();
	cal.setTime (new Date ());
	int hourOfDay = cal.get (Calendar.HOUR_OF_DAY);
	int dayOfMonth = cal.get (Calendar.DAY_OF_MONTH);
	int monthOfYear = cal.get (Calendar.MONTH);
	int yearsSince1900 = cal.get (Calendar.YEAR) - 1900;

authKey.append (hourOfDay);
	authKey.append (dayOfMonth);
	authKey.append (monthOfYear);
	authKey.append (yearsSince1900);
	authHash = DigestUtils.md5Hex (authKey.toString ());

return authHash;
}
Of course the above code isn't the complete class, just a method and the imports you need for a class you'd create yourself. There's also one external dependency and that's for you to write a DAO (Data Access Object) that connects to the zm DB and returns the actual string that the MySQL password() function produces. I wasn't able to easily figure out what the hell that sucker does so it was just easier to reach into the DB and grab it. Or I could've just made a similar call to a piece of SQL such as:

SELECT password(passed-in-password);
Well, I hope this helped somebody.

Cheers,

Ramin
:D