Has anyone tried the JFS filesystem

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
Lee Sharp

Has anyone tried the JFS filesystem

Post by Lee Sharp »

I have had a few corrupt databases, and supported some others. :) So when I read this article http://www.linux.com/feature/119025 it got me thinking... Has anyone tried JFS? Has anyone tried anything other than EXT3?
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

no but it looks good. Will probably wait for ext4 though lol
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
DiscusZ

Post by DiscusZ »

I use JFS for my Mythtv Partition ( All m y recordings from my MythTV go there) its worked great. I have tried it with ZM yet but it shoould work fine. (Especially if you have large files, they delete almost instantly. hence why itss a good fit for Mythtv as recordsings are a 1gig and higher.

Jim
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

Well, ZM is a lot of small files. However, it is also a lot of continuous disk access, so the lower CPU overhead of JFS is what I was looking at. But there is some rumor that JFS on the / partition can cause issues... And all the data I find with google is years old.
tgutwin

JFS is speedy and reliable

Post by tgutwin »

I also use JFS. The main reason is that I also have MythTV running on the same box. JFS is very efficient at handling large files (video files).

The ZM files also live on that partition because there is lots of space.
My system also uses LVM to turn 3 JFS formatted physical volumes into one logical partition

I have had no problems with JFS. My system has been in service almost 2 years. Before that I had other OS/2 - JFS systems for over a decade with rock solid speedy reliability.

It is indeed fast when booting & recovering after a bad shutdown.

tom
------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Let Software Push You Around... Push Back
------------------------------------------------------------