Recording Frame Rate

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
trevorj

Recording Frame Rate

Post by trevorj »

Hello.

I'm running ZoneMinder on a Dell PowerEdge 2900, with a Intel Xeon Dual Core @ 2GHz, 2 Gigs of memory, and gigabit Ethernet. I'm currently attempting to record from two Axis 206 IP cameras at 10 FPS.

When I first deployed the system with only one camera, it worked great and I always got my 10 FPS. Then, when I added the second camera, the original/first camera's FPS dropped to 6.67, whereas the second (newly added) camera began recording at 10. It's not a load issue, I'm running an average of about .07, nor is is a network throughput issue (iptraf shows 1.4 MBit average, and it's a gigabit card connected to a gigabit switch which the Axis 206's are also directly connected to). I installed the MMX libraries in an effort to drop the load even further (the .07 is post-MMX, before I was averaging ~.2-.4), and it also did nothing to improve the record rate.

Why am I not getting my 10 FPS from all cameras, when I've defined that I want 10? It would seem that I have ample system resources to allow it, and I've definitely configured ZM correctly to try and force it to get 10.

EDIT: Some info I realized I forgot - I'm recording in 320x240 in color, running on Debian.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you should be able to, i have run about 8 206's on an 820 at 10 fps each. Id look at a network issue. If you remove either one does it go back to 10fps?
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
trevorj

Post by trevorj »

No, actually. Which is odd.

I deleted the second Axis 206, and the first one still stays stuck at 8 FPS. There is 734 Kb/s traveling through eth0, and an average load of .02 on the processor.

I did, at one point, experiment with chaining the dual ports together but I abandoned that and only stuck with one instead of the failover. Could that be the problem? How do I remove the apt package for failover ports?

EDIT: Nope. Removed the ifenslave-2.6 package and it still sticks at 8 FPS. There isnt anything wrong with the switch, either. It's functioning well and nowhere near capacity.
trevorj

Post by trevorj »

I am now incredibly confused.

I re-created the second camera, and suddenly it picks up at 10FPS again. I did the same for the first camera, and it also runs at 10 now. I will watch to see if this holds true.

EDIT AGAIN: I rebooted the server, and now I'm back to the second of the two cameras recording at 10, and the first recording at 8.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

are you using an mjpeg path and limiting the fps on the server?
if so use 25 fps on the server and limit to 10 fps on the cam or url.
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
trevorj

Post by trevorj »

I'm using "axis-cgi/jpg/image.cgi?resolution=320x240" and limiting to 10 on the server, yes.

I've changed the string to "/axis-cgi/mjpg/video.cgi?resolution=320x240&req_fps=10" but the FPS still fluctuates, going as high as 20 on one camera. Is there a way that I can constantly keep the same rate?

EDIT ONE MORE TIME: I've set the server limit to 10, and the string req_fps to 10. It seems to be stable. I'll reboot a few times and see what happens.
trevorj

Post by trevorj »

I've rebooted twice now, and it appears to be happy.

It still fluctuates up to 13.33 every once in a while, but only very briefly. It appears to be working now.

Thanks for telling me about the frame rate URL string, I didn't know it existed.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

I find it the best way, but ensure you dont limit the fps on the zm box if using mjpeg. As your using mjpeg now ensure you have 25fps set. It wont go above 10.
James Wilson