Monitoring the garage

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
rwalker

Monitoring the garage

Post by rwalker »

I have been using a fairly cheap 2.4ghz wireless camera with built-in infrared LEDs. It died on me, so I went online and picked up a 5.8ghz version of the same camera (unfortunately I discovered that 5.8ghz does not go through walls as well as 2.4ghz. The new camera has MUCH better night vision, but the image is constantly being lost/fuzzy (the 2.4 was always kind of fuzzy due to the wi-fi in the house).

How do other people deal with this issue? Seperate camera, infrared LED lamp and transmitter/receiver? What frequency? Or is a wi-fi camera with a sepearate infrared LED lamp the way to go? Links to products you found work well would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
Roy

PS. Running a wire is unfortunately not an option.
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

For me, the headaches of supporting a wireless camera are worse than the headaches of running a cable. Much worse... :) And you can always add a supplemental IR flood to an existing IR cam. I have actually used IR cameras with bad CCDs as supplemental floods. However, some of the fuzzy could be a cheap CCD, so you might want to test that.
rwalker

5.8ghz wireless has downsides too!

Post by rwalker »

Well after some time of playing with the wireless camera, it works pretty damn good... until I guess one of my neighbor starts using their phone. It goes crazy for about 10 seconds to almost 5 minutes creating tons of events. Then it will just clear up and return to normal. I have not been able to find a digital 5.8ghz wireless camera, they are all analog so interference is going to be a problem...

I wish I could run a cable to this location, but it would be next to impossible since I would have to go through several walls and a floor.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Are both ends on the same power main? If so can you not run a powerline ethernet link if the cam also has a wired port? I use that here to connect to my cams and it works much better than wireless. The 85Mbps ones are pretty cheap now and there's virtually no config.
Phil
rwalker

Post by rwalker »

The powerline might be the perfect option. I will give it a shot!

Thanks