Broken images with Ubuntu 7.10 ZM 1.22.3 package

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
jonatha

Broken images with Ubuntu 7.10 ZM 1.22.3 package

Post by jonatha »

I installed the zoneminder package using adept from the universe/net section and set everything up but all I get for images (still or motion) is broken image links....

I'm using D-Link DCS-900 webcams. Everything works just fine on an openSuSE 10.1 box, so obviously I've misconfigured something or failed to install something I need, but I don't know what. I have both libjpeg62 and netpbm. zms and nph-zms are in /usr/lib/cgi-bin (and it doesn't work with either one of them).

I do see a ['zmc -m 6' exited abnormally, exit status 255] message in zmdc.log, but I believe that's related to a monitor I have in the red (which I will try to fix once the immediate problem is overcome).
rDr4g0n

Post by rDr4g0n »

im setting up an ubuntu install with 1.22.x also... i was messing around and broke all my links too with the weirdest thing: i enabled login authentication. After turning that off, the streams and stuff worked again. If you have that enabled, disable it and see if that works.

its in options then system and its "ZM_OPT_USE_AUTH"
________
HONDA CIVIC (THIRD GENERATION) SPECIFICATIONS
________
Vapir no2 vaporizer
Last edited by rDr4g0n on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cordel

Post by cordel »

Like rDr4g0n says, turn Auth off or set to plain, it's brocken in the deb universe ATM and the packagers (Peter is aware of it and working to solve the problem).
Else you will have to check the apache log as zms is run though apache so most errors related to it will show up in apache.
jonatha

Post by jonatha »

cordel wrote:Like rDr4g0n says, turn Auth off or set to plain
Thank you both, this sounds quite promising.

What does "setting authorization to plain" mean exaclty?
cordel

Post by cordel »

Means the password is sent in Plaain Text over the internet.
jonatha

Post by jonatha »

Changing to plain authorization (Options/System ZM_CONFIG_USE_AUTH checked, ZM_AUTH_RELAY set to plain) seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks again.
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

Which version of the package are you using? The problem with the forms of authentication other than "plain" is, to my knowledge, fixed in zoneminder_1.22.3-10

PJH
jonatha

Post by jonatha »

1.22.3-7, which apparently is what's in the ubuntu universe/net repository...
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

jonatha wrote:1.22.3-7, which apparently is what's in the ubuntu universe/net repository...
Damn, I thought they'd got further ahead there (though there is a Hardy freeze which is complicating things).

You can pull the 1.22.3-10 from ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zoneminder and then a dpkg -i of it should upgrade nicely.

PJH
rDr4g0n

Post by rDr4g0n »

PeterHoward wrote:
jonatha wrote:1.22.3-7, which apparently is what's in the ubuntu universe/net repository...
Damn, I thought they'd got further ahead there (though there is a Hardy freeze which is complicating things).

You can pull the 1.22.3-10 from ftp://ftp.northern-ridge.com.au/zoneminder and then a dpkg -i of it should upgrade nicely.

PJH
that will be quite useful for me, i wanted to get the authentication goin since mine is gonna be facing the net :)

thanks a ton for the contributions!!

[update] worked like a charm! thanks again!
________
William Clay Ford, Sr. Specifications
________
Accidental death and dismemberment insurance advice
Last edited by rDr4g0n on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

Thanks for the information about authentication breaking the picture. I just built a system the same as you with Ubuntu 7.10.

It seemed to be working (albeit with a memory leak) then I could not show the images. (Picture of a broken link).

I was about to try and buy a CCTV appliance. You have restored a bit of faith in ZM. Now I will have to try and write a programe to reboot the PC every night to get round the memory leak, until I can figure out how to load a newer version of zm into Ubuntu.
rDr4g0n

Post by rDr4g0n »

Quentin wrote:Thanks for the information about authentication breaking the picture. I just built a system the same as you with Ubuntu 7.10.

It seemed to be working (albeit with a memory leak) then I could not show the images. (Picture of a broken link).

I was about to try and buy a CCTV appliance. You have restored a bit of faith in ZM. Now I will have to try and write a programe to reboot the PC every night to get round the memory leak, until I can figure out how to load a newer version of zm into Ubuntu.
ya know i have the same memory leak issue. its seems to happen kinda randomly. sometimes i come home and all of the swap and system memory are full... pretty weird.

you can probably write a little cron script to reboot daily pretty easily for it.
________
Marijuana Bubbler
________
Mazda Rx-01 Picture
Last edited by rDr4g0n on Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PeterHoward

Post by PeterHoward »

rDr4g0n wrote: ya know i have the same memory leak issue. its seems to happen kinda randomly. sometimes i come home and all of the swap and system memory are full... pretty weird.

you can probably write a little cron script to reboot daily pretty easily for it.
I've had that leak in the past, but not for a long time. I've always thought the problem was in Apache rather than Zoneminder.
Quentin

Post by Quentin »

It could be Apache, but I only just built the zm on Ubuntu 7.10, and obviously got the latest Apache. Apache is so widely used I would be surprised if it was allowed to have a memory leak for long.

I used a little program to monitor the memory leak, it displays it on screen and writes it to a log file.

while true
do
sleep 60
echo " "
date >>$HOME/free.log
date
free >>$HOME/free.log
free
done

It might be of interest if anyone else wants to monitor memory leaks.
Regards Quentin
sl666
Location: The land downunder.. where women glow and men chunder, can you hear? can you hear the thunder?

Post by sl666 »

PeterHoward wrote:

PJH
:( i did this to fix my authbroken image issues, and now the images are broken no matter what i do :(