Axis 206W / 207W Wireless Cameras

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
negx

Axis 206W / 207W Wireless Cameras

Post by negx »

I'm thinking about buying 2 of these cameras to monitor my front and back rooms in my house.

I have a wireless network what is created with my
Netgear DG834GT 108 Mbps Super Gâ„¢ Wireless ADSL Modem Router
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broad ... g834gt.php

Here are my questions:

What is the difference between the Axis 206W and the Axis207W?

The Axis 207W supports MPEG-4 wireless streaming, the Axis 206W doesnt, however, ZoneMinder works best with JPEG streaming, so would i be better off just buying a Axis 206W?

I will not use my wireless network for anything else apart from streaming 2 Axis cameras, I would like to stream at 640 x 480 @10 FPS, would I be able to achieve that with my Netgear DG834GT ?
curtishall

Re: Axis 206W / 207W Wireless Cameras

Post by curtishall »

Eventually I'm sure Zoneminder will support MPEG4, so you may look at the 207W. With just two cameras on that wireless network you will be fine, assuming they are within range to receive / transmit.

negx wrote:I'm thinking about buying 2 of these cameras to monitor my front and back rooms in my house.

I have a wireless network what is created with my
Netgear DG834GT 108 Mbps Super Gâ„¢ Wireless ADSL Modem Router
http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_broad ... g834gt.php

Here are my questions:

What is the difference between the Axis 206W and the Axis207W?

The Axis 207W supports MPEG-4 wireless streaming, the Axis 206W doesnt, however, ZoneMinder works best with JPEG streaming, so would i be better off just buying a Axis 206W?

I will not use my wireless network for anything else apart from streaming 2 Axis cameras, I would like to stream at 640 x 480 @10 FPS, would I be able to achieve that with my Netgear DG834GT ?
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
Flasheart

Post by Flasheart »

207W also supports mjpeg - I'm using two successfully with ZM at present.

Neither (First batch and a more recent one) has very good audio streaming (extra noise, echoing, distorted effects) but visual's very good, the wireless works well and they're very reliable like all the Axis stuff.

206w vs 207w - if you don't need the audio of the 207, I don't think it has any huge advantages. I use several 206's too, they're fine.

Your wireless hub *should* be fine.

No guarantees with that though, I've experienced some difficulty staying connected to some netgear WAP's - wireless is a bit smoke and mirrors sometimes, but at work one of my 207w's talks to a netgear WAP and stays on all the time.

Try it - I'm 90% sure it'll work fine.
NikosF

Post by NikosF »

I have an Axis 207W. I eventually gave up on wireless - I was getting frequent disconects which required me to 'reboot' the camera. (this was on a Draytek wireless router). I ran an ethernet cable to the camera and since then it's been rock solid (can go literally months). I decided wireless was too flakey for me. When on holiday it was the only wireless device active on my network - and it would still disconnect so it wasn't a bandwidth issue.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

Weird, both of mine are fine - even the first edition version.

I've found with wifi that some mixes of AP and device don't work well together, I've actually had the best success with Linksys APs, but my 207's work fine with netgear, Linksys and Zyxel AP's, although with all of them I actually get the most reliability by locking the AP to 54G instead of allowing it to switch to B or even A.

Anyway - however good wifi can be, it's never as good as cat5, so if you /can/ get cable to it, do so. :)

It'll get a lot easier to run cameras when somebody invents power-over-wifi too...
coke

Post by coke »

Check the USPTO for Nikola Tesla. Even if we could get it working, though, I imagine the transmission would hose the actual WiFi signal.
seabro

Post by seabro »

I have a 207W and a 207MW

The MW goes forever, but it is connected over ethernet.

The 207W has to be rebooted almost everyday. To be honest, it's a pain in the butt.

In light of the above, I will see if I can get a cable to it instead.

Shame AXIS hasn't released an update for it.
Flash_

Post by Flash_ »

I had that lockup problem - but I fixed it so long ago I'd forgotten :(

Stick this in the crontab of your linux server (or any on the network), changing PASSWORD and the IP:PORT to your camera.

It simply restarts the camera at 5.15 am every day. Works for all Axis cams I think.

05 15 * * * curl -u root:PASSWORD http://IP:PORT/axis-cgi/admin/restart.cgi &>/dev/null