Question about DVR PCI Cards & Zoneminder Compatibility.

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
dmode111

Question about DVR PCI Cards & Zoneminder Compatibility.

Post by dmode111 »

I am looking at this:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =Q300-2108

I wanted to know if they are compatible with zm.

The brand name is Q-See and the cameras I am looking at is the Lorex Digital Video Security for your home or business. The Cameras are Indoor/Outdoor Night Color Night Vision with Advanced Image Sensor.

I have a Biostar motherboard and it has an AMD processor. I don't know if that is a problem with this and ZM. It looks as if this comes with some sort of software but I doubt it even compares to ZM. Nothing compares to ZM that I've used yet, and ZM is ultimately the best product I've used.

I'm currently trying it with a few Axis 206's under Ubuntu but was a bit confused after one of the steps in the installation procedure. The Console comes up and I'm able to login, but haven't plugged in those cameras yet.

If you check on Tiger Direct there are many cameras for i ndoor outdoor. Wireless is good but wired is really a pain if your installing in the summer and dropping down walls, and fishing them and i've never done that so I don't know what I'm getting into there. But for the price I'll fish.

Please advise..

Your friend in ZM,

dm111
cordel

Post by cordel »

We have never received reports of qsee capture cards working or not working. I see similar questions with no answer or follow up from the poster so I would assume the answer is likely not.
dmode111

Thanks for the quick reply.

Post by dmode111 »

hmm.. I guess that got me thinking a little.

What is a known good setup HCL (Hardware Compatibility List) wise?

As far as setting up ZM with some sort of PCI BNC (I assume BNC) its what the connector looks like.

It would be nice to get a setup working with ZM and at least 2-3 pci Cards, that would allow for 12 cameras.

Oh, I guess I forgot to ask, what about the brand LOREX?

Thanks for your troubles..

Very kindly :)
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

The vendor that sells stuff that works with ZoneMinder is Blue Cherry. They also support there products in Linux. As to the cheap cards, some work, and some don't. Yours is a guess... Feeling lucky? :)

As to the board, I use Intel chipsets whenever possible. Other chipsets have known issues with capture cards. That is not saying that yours will. Just that is you are buying from scratch, get an Intel chipset. (Yes, this means Intel CPU... Sorry)
dmode111

Post by dmode111 »

As to the board, I use Intel chipsets whenever possible. Other chipsets have known issues with capture cards. That is not saying that yours will. Just that is you are buying from scratch, get an Intel chipset. (Yes, this means Intel CPU... Sorry)[/quote]
Lee Sharp wrote:The vendor that sells stuff that works with ZoneMinder is Blue Cherry. They also support there products in Linux. As to the cheap cards, some work, and some don't. Yours is a guess... Feeling lucky? :)

As to the board, I use Intel chipsets whenever possible. Other chipsets have known issues with capture cards. That is not saying that yours will. Just that is you are buying from scratch, get an Intel chipset. (Yes, this means Intel CPU... Sorry)
I just bought a Intel Quad 9xxx and an intel MB. I like the Intel MB much better than the ASUS. The ASUS has nVdia chipsets, whereas the Intel probably has all intel stuff. It is a lot easier to just go with all Intel.

Now as far as hardware, prior to footing the expense of the PVR, I'm thinking about the following:

Form Factor: ATX

Processor Speed: Q6600 / 2.40GHz

Processor Interface: Socket 775

Processor Interface: Socket 775

Processors Supported: Intel Pentium 4 LGA775
Intel Pentium D
Intel Core 2 Duo, Intel Core 2 Extreme, Intel Core 2 Quad

Processor Class: Core 2 Quad

Additional Technologies: 64-bit
HyperThreading Technology
Vista Ready, Intel Quad Core Ready, SLI Ready

Processor Core: Kentsfield

Front Side Bus: 1333MHz

Cache Size: 8MB L2

Bus Speed: 1066MHz

Additional Technologies: Enhanced Halt State
Intel® EM64T
Quad-Core
Intel® Virtualization
Execute Disable Bit
Intel® Thermal Monitor 2
Intel® Speedstep® Technology

Architecture: 65 nm

Wattage: 95W

Core Stepping: G0

Fan: Not Included

Northbridge: NVIDIA nForce 680i LT SLI MCP

Number of Slots: 4

Number of Pins: 240-Pin

Maximum Memory Supported: 4GB - 32bit
8GB - 64bit

Memory Supported: 800MHz DDR2

Channels: 8 Channels

Audio Chipset: AC '97 CODEC

Supported Devices: 2

Hard Drive Types: ATA/100

USB Version: 2.0

USB Data Transfer Rates: 480Mbps

LAN Type: 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit

Port Type: RJ-45

PCI Slots: 2

PCI Express X1 Slots: 2

PCI Express X16 Slots: 2

PS/2 Keyboard Connectors: 1

PS/2 Mouse Connectors: 1

USB Ports: 8

FireWire Ports: 1 - 1394a

LAN Ports: 1

Audio Out Jacks: 1

Line In Jacks: 1

Microphone Jacks: 1

Center Audio Jacks: 1

Subwoofer Audio Out Jacks: 1

CD-In Headers: 1

IDE Headers: 1

FDD Headers: 1

Serial ATA Headers: 6

ATX Power Connectors: 1 24-Pin Connector

PC Power Connectors: 1 - 8 Pin

Fan Connectors: 1 x Chassis
1 x CPU
1 x Power

S/PDIF Connectors: 1 - Optical

Length: 13.50 in. (34.29 cm)

Width: 13.00 in. (33.02 cm)

----------------------------

Don't know if The bundled Ubuntu that comes with BlueCherry is 64bit compatible. This makes a big difference when it comes to buying memory! Why? Because the system will not address all of the memory unless its a true 64-bit O.S., e.g. (yucky vista) or hopeufully Ubuntu or even ZM 1.22/3 Live CD That is the Mandrake. I personally like the Ubuntu Debian version. And, I do have the following questions about that particular distro:

1. Should I run Ubuntu Server or
2. Should I run Ubuntu Workstation?

Server is all commandline driven and drops you in a shell linux. Good ole linux! The hard way! However, I've read on here you can install the Ubuntu version bundled and turn off the GDK and APCI but I don't know about t hat since I've never done that. Getting out of XWindows totally lowers the overhead by far! and with previous experience 1.5GB or RAM and a AMD Athlon 64 2800 it runs pretty nicely. Now, that compared with the above specs and anywhere from 2-4GB of 64bit RAM, a 500GB SATA drive, DVD/RW SATA, a newer power supply that supports SATA Cables and a PVR-4 or 8 port plus 100 feet of DC/Video cable per channel and 4 of the 59.95 (hope i'm saying this right) 2000 or 3000 Cams from BlueCherry.

That combined with a couple of network cams will set things straight I think, to start.

My only dilemma would be drilling holes through brick, etc to mount the cameras, that frightens me a bit, it also frightens me a bit b/c a lot of planning has to go into it as far as what will reach where! ;-)

I didn't have any success when tinkering with Fedora Core 8 and ZM a while back but I did have luck with the Ubunu Desktop version (latest 8.5 or 8.6). There were a lot of tweaks that I tried implmenting but it didn't seem necessary.

Well, I hope that will fix it. Thats gonna be a set back of over a grand!
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

1) Ubuntu server has "big iron" kernels. Install is and type "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" to have the full GUI. Then in the services-admin, turn off GDK, and you have the GUI only when you need it with a simple "startx."

2) The BlueCherry CD I saw was 32 bit.

3) The system is way more than I have used, and I have up to 16 chips in a few.

4) Going 64 bit means compiling from source or a very old deb, since Peter olny builds 32 bit debs.
john_l_b

Camera wiring

Post by john_l_b »

If you are doing wired cameras, use baluns and twisted pair cable (cat5/6 works well) to get the signal to the DVR. It's easy to run, easier to hide, and can go a much longer distance than coax, and you also have to get power to the camera, which another pair will provide. It also allows two cameras with power on one cable run, or 4 cameras if you have camera local power.

Also, add in ligntning suppression!!!! A must on outdoor runs - I've had three systems go defunct on me in the last 3 years without it.

By the way, one of those systems was Intel/Via, one was AMD/Via, and one was Intel/Intel. They all worked well! Capture cards were new each time.