Axis outdoor camera questions

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
lvthunder

Axis outdoor camera questions

Post by lvthunder »

I have some questions about the Axis cameras. I'm building a cabin in the mountains where it gets cold in the winter. So I'll need about 3 outdoor cameras and I'm considering getting the Axis ones. I do have some questions. I would like to go with the POE cameras so I only have to run one cable. Does that work with the external housing or do I need something else. Also where is the best store to buy these things? Also what other choices are there for the external cameras?

Thanks
pathway

Post by pathway »

A lot depends on your situation. How cold does it get? Well below the recommended operating tempeature of the camera you're looking at? You will be placing the camera into a housing, correct?

The heaters in external housings are there to try and keep an environment in which the camera can operate. Some cameras handle cold better than others. For an example if a cold weather ready camera, check out Srardot's product line.

As for which store to buy cameras... I like ProVantage.com. They have a good selection and excellent prices. Don't forget to check out Bluecherry.net as well.

Lastly, there is new technology comming out called Power over Ethernet+, or PoE+. Give Axis a call and find out if they have any heated cameras comming down the pipe.

--Pathway