Current tech solution...

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
rwalker

Current tech solution...

Post by rwalker »

I am moving into a new house which means a new surveillance setup. My current setup was a mix of wireless IP cams and wireless analog cams (will not make that mistake again). I know the Axis 207 now has on camera motion triggering, is this the current best solution for a low power (and low cpu) solution?

My current box runs at about 60-70%, so it pulls down some juice. The new house will need at least 7 cameras and would like to have the new server be a low power machine (thinking a dual core Atom).

Thanks,
Roy
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

if you want a good deal heres a 2.2 quad for 300 bucks
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM191 ... 916-_-post
i don't endorse tiger direct but its a good deal
rwalker

Try to not throw hardware at it

Post by rwalker »

kingofkya wrote:if you want a good deal heres a 2.2 quad for 300 bucks
http://www.tigerdirect.com/email/WEM191 ... 916-_-post
i don't endorse tiger direct but its a good deal
Perhaps I was not clear, this is a power saving (as in kilowatts) effort. I realize you can easily get a quad core 125W proc that can support the 7-8 cams I would have, but that is not the goal.
mitch

Post by mitch »

I highly recommend the dual core atom machines, you get can almost complete boxes that are smaller that some old style external cdroms and they draw very little power. Mine draws 30W or so running so certainly is a very nice option.
rwalker

Motion Cameras?

Post by rwalker »

mitch wrote:I highly recommend the dual core atom machines, you get can almost complete boxes that are smaller that some old style external cdroms and they draw very little power. Mine draws 30W or so running so certainly is a very nice option.
Are you using an on-camera motion sensing with that hardware? No way you could run more than a few cameras with motion sensing at any decent resolution.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

i really should read a little better.

anyways The atholons are nice but just for a bench mark

i have a a Intel core 2due clocked at 1.6 running 5 ip cams all at 10fps at rez of 1024X768 3 running motion detect and 2 with on cam motion detect. all axis cams and it runs at 60-70. The area these cams are in is very busy.

If you would like to take a look at it i could give you a temp pass.

also skip frame is really useful to reduce load for motion detect