What kind of framerate can I expect?

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
bt101

What kind of framerate can I expect?

Post by bt101 »

I've been fooling around with MOTION for years and cannot get a decent framerate. What kind of framerate can I expect with Zoneminder?

With Motion, I've gone through many machines. I'm currently up to a P4 2.4Ghz, and cannot get more than 15fps out of my bt878 card (mpeg4 video, 320x240). Even that 15fps is really choppy and jittery. I can take the same hardware (actually much less hardware) with uggghh MS Windows and use any crappy recording software to get 30fps 640x480 with no problem.

I've wasted so much time on Motion and dread wasting more on Zoneminder. I posted questions in the Motion forum for people to Please just post what hardware you use and what framerates you get, but no takers.

Could one or more of you Please just quickly post your hardware and the framerates/resolution that you get.

If it does indeed turn out that only a CRAY Supercomputer can record smooth video, that is fine. At least I would have spent a year tying to figure-it-out.

Thanks
allanE

Post by allanE »

dual quadcore 2.4 mhz
16 gig mem
1 terrabyte raid array
asus server board
4 cameras running 640x480 30fps
3 ip cameras 400x400 10fps
1 ip camera 640x480 10fps
IP cameras are limited by the network speed available
video is excellent and server load is about 10%