After a couple of seconds images have distortion at the top

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
visuel

After a couple of seconds images have distortion at the top

Post by visuel »

Hi all,

I am running ZM v1.24.1 on a VMWare machine with a logitech 3500 USB webcam.

Every time after I save monitor settings, the images are fine for a couple of seconds.
Then the images have distortion at the top until I save the monitor settings again.

I can find no errors in the /var/log/messages or the /tmp/zm* files.

What can I do to get the images right?

Victor

Example of images:

Image[/url]
We Nix, Unix

No fur-bearing or non-fur-bearing animals were harmed during the creation of this post!
Syrinx

Post by Syrinx »

What happens if you view it through something other than ZoneMinder? Try xawtv.

xawtv -device /dev/video0 ---- for example
visuel

Post by visuel »

Syrinx wrote:What happens if you view it through something other than ZoneMinder? Try xawtv.

xawtv -device /dev/video0 ---- for example
Tried it:

Code: Select all

victor@vmserver:~$ xawtv -device /dev/video0 
This is xawtv-3.95.dfsg.1, running on Linux/i686 (2.6.24-24-generic)
xinerama 0: 1280x1024+0+0
WARNING: No DGA support available for this display.
/dev/video0 [v4l2]: no overlay support
v4l-conf had some trouble, trying to continue anyway
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL(id=9963776;type=unknown;name="";minimum=0;maximum=0;step=0;default_value=0;flags=0): Input/output error
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYCTRL(id=9963777;type=unknown;name="";minimum=0;maximum=0;step=0;default_value=0;flags=0): Input/output error
ioctl: VIDIOC_QUERYMENU(id=134217738;index=0;name="60 Hz";reserved=3081171296): Invalid argument
Warning: Cannot convert string "-*-ledfixed-medium-r-*--39-*-*-*-c-*-*-*" to type FontStruct
ioctl: VIDIOC_G_STD(std=0xb785e1c0b7d54450 [PAL_I,PAL_D1,PAL_Nc,?,SECAM_B,SECAM_G,SECAM_K,SECAM_L,?ATSC_8_VSB,ATSC_16_VSB,(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null),(null)]): Invalid argument
Segmentation fault
do not know what is configured wrong...

I tried EKIGA SOFTPHONE and that runs OK, but the image is a lot smaller.
There it seems to run OK......

If I make the resolution two times smaller to 320x240 it runs for a minute or two without distortion.

When I make the resolution even smaller to 160x120 it runs Ok for a minute or ten now.
Still running, after 15 minutes....but the image is very small.

Could I try to tune some buffers somewhere, so that I can try bigger resolution?
We Nix, Unix

No fur-bearing or non-fur-bearing animals were harmed during the creation of this post!
Syrinx

Post by Syrinx »

It seems unrelated to ZoneMinder. Might be a driver issue. I'd focus on getting it to work with xawtv, or at least something that uses the capture size you're looking to use with ZoneMinder.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

i have had this happen in firefox before do you happen to be using the official nvida drivers. try on another pc