Using zoneminder zms as remote camera

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
securiteaze

Post by securiteaze »

gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

Yes, camserv is the one I was thinking of in a similar thread on remote computers.

Camsource is another:

http://camsource.sourceforge.net/

I think these are better approaches as the remote machine wont need apache, mysql, etc. Perhaps a small footprint web server with rewritten zmc and zms would work without the rest of zoneminder needed.
fernando

Post by fernando »

i think the main idea is to use zms has remote camera. why it does not work? if semms to be the same thing .. mjpeg .

another thing is zm can use multiple channels on a bt878. so have multiple advanteges againts others sistems.

camserv have a mjpgproxy but does not work with zm.

all this have to be a stupid tweak some where.
Fernando
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

I may be wrong but I don't think zms does the actual web serving of the stream. I think apache sets up the network connection and then zms supplies the stream. if you plan on using zms remotely, you need something to replace apache and php. If you use something that has the web interface already built in, you dont need to worry about that part of it.

Another thought, maybe zmc can't process the remote url properly. Perhaps one of those url shorteners will work. I dont know how they work, maybe a proxy or maybe DNS but It would have to run locally for the local IPs.
fernando

Post by fernando »

mmm you get me wrong.

the idea is to use a zm slave machine. "like a axis camera" this machine can do all.

but you can use this machine stream on another machine.

a real and functional example can be ....
a plce where they have 2 zm machine or more. but they only can use one internet ip and one port "80" .
give access to the port to one machine that can handle another zm stream. just like a normal ip camera.
Fernando
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

No, I understand what you intend to do. I think it's better to use one of the other options or combine zmc, zms, and a small webserver. I'm sure the axis cameras aren't running apache, php and mysql. If you get something like camserve to work, thats 40mb or so saved from apache and another 40mb or so from mysql. You could use that ram for another camera or a ram drive and boot off a compact flash or CD.
fernando

Post by fernando »

so anyone have anyone have any luck?
Fernando
somepdguy

Axis Cam works OK as remote....

Post by somepdguy »

Just so you know I have tried an axis cam as a remote source and it works fine it is just a remote zms that doesn't work.

Heres hoping that a new version will work!

Pete
fernando

Post by fernando »

mm maybe.. new versions allways comes with surprices..!
Fernando