Zoneminder vs Hardware Recorders (They DO do full PAL/NTSC)

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
pki

Post by pki »

Thx,

i have already added a solution to deinterlace the images from interlaced cam's and posted in this thread: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15501
SQ2LYH :-)
bmarkovic

Post by bmarkovic »

I've been wondering for some time, if the RTOS-ized kernel (like the one in Ubuntu Studio) would help with FPS.

I think that, when one would disable most unneeded tasks, give highest priority to ZMC and ZMF, and then second-highest to ZMA and ZMS, we would have great results. RTOS kernel would help making sure no process hogs up the system. Offcourse the priorities might as well be like this, I don't know, but a dedicated ZM distro should probably use RTOS kernel.

Also, as far as deinterlace goes, I think the system should record frames as it receives them. Deinterlace should be done during playback and video export, and disabled on progressive scan channels. During monitoring streaming, one should be presented with half-vertical stretched image, except when camera is in spot -- then the deinterlace would be made.

With this we would probably have near-GeoVision etc. performance with ZM's allready much better image quality.

I work in security industry and have about 10 years of experience. I've seen many computer enthusiast solutions for surveillance and many proprietary DVR/NVR software as well as hw DVRs. IMO Zoneminder is the most interesting surveillance product to come in much time, and with proper care and much more community input and development it could become netavis/milestone killer with ease.