Camera Management URL

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
pathway

Camera Management URL

Post by pathway »

It's been a while since I've posted, and I don't know if this an existing feature... (I'm running an older version.)

Somewhere, I would like to have a link in ZM to the web interface of a network camera. That way I can make adjustments to the camera without having to remember the camera's IP, uesrname, etc. That could all be pre-baked into the link by ZM. (It knows all that anyways.) Also, I know that ZoneMinder can do PTZ controls from it's interface, but they don't always work, or I'm too lazy to get them working... Not to mention different camera firmwares can change the APIs on the cameras... *grumble*

Suggested location of link: On the View page for the specific camera.

I would have the customizable URL in the configuration for the camera somewhere...

Security Recommendation: Allow only users who have "Control" permissions to see this link.

Bonus Feature request: I have my ZM Box on my primary network so I can access it, and a "Camera Only" network on a second network card as to separate the traffic between the two networks. In this setup, I cannot access the cameras directly. I don't know if it is easy or even possible, but if the connection could be "tunneled through" the ZM box (as an option) so I don't have to be on the same network, that would be awesome.

Thanks for making ZM so awesome. I know you guys are busy, and this is one more request on top of the pile.

--Pathway
kp4djt

Post by kp4djt »

I like the idea of having a page that allows access to the cameras on the
video network, like you I set them up that way, it keeps things flowing well,
and in general makes life easier.

I do the tunnelling right now. I set up a ssh tunnel to the zm machine from
the machine where I am at, then I go into the cameras, just be nice to be
able to do it right from the ZM screen rather than have to set up a tunnel
go in and tell the browser to user the tunnel and then not forget to change
the browser back from proxy to regular links when finished.
Chuck Hast -- KP4DJT --
Web site www.wchast.com
ZM demo www.wchast.com/zm