Configuring a Foscam FI8904W on ZM

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
bpc31

Configuring a Foscam FI8904W on ZM

Post by bpc31 »

Hi,

I am trying ot get ZM to see my Foscam FI8904W camera . The IP address shows up in red which I know means there's no connectivity.

I know the camera works because I was able to use the software it came with on an Windows XP environment. I have looked at many posts and there isn't a step by step instruction on how to get this configured.

Any help would be appreciated.
linclkh

Post by linclkh »

http://www.zoneminder.com/wiki/index.php/Foscam

I have a FI8905W I am trying out.

I set mine up a little different.

General
Name: x
Source Type: Remote
Function: Modect (up to you though)
Enabled: Tick
Maximum FPS: 10
Alarm Maximum FPS: 30
Source
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: username:pwd(for the camera)@x.x.x.x (The IP of the camera)
Remote Host Port: 80 (or port that you set the Cam to use on the cam setup page in the camera)
Remote Host Path: /videostream.cgi

Remote Image Colours: 24 bit colour
Capture Width: 640 (You could use 320 x 240)
Capture Height: 480

That should get you going.
Last edited by linclkh on Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
linclkh

Post by linclkh »

To test , open fire fox
type in. (http://username or admin:pwd(if you set one or admin if you have not) @xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:80(or port#you set the cam for) /videostream.cgi or video.cgi works also.)

example
(http://admin:admin@192.168.1.100:8080/video.cgi)
bpc31

Post by bpc31 »

It worked for one minute (IP address was green) and the video was black. I am new to Linux so please bear with me.

Do I need to configure anything in using the videostream.cgi file?

also..

Did you make your camera static? If so, how did you do that? I am running DHCP and see that the IP addy keeps changing every so often on the camera.

Thanks alot for your help.
linclkh

Post by linclkh »

It sounds like your wireless connection is weak.
You using wireless with the cam, move it closer to access point or plug the network cable in to get it working.

No kind of config.

Yes on the static ip, I use Address Reservation in the router for that, Tip do not use port 80 , use 8080 ,8081 or 8150 what ever .
you have to set that in the cam.

make sure your Capture Width and Height match to what you are using in the cam or you will see a problem like that.
bpc31

Post by bpc31 »

OK - Strike 2 for me. I setup the camera direct to ethernet and same thing. I also used the generic setup you suggested and I still get the red IP address showing on the ZM console.

The only thing I can think of is that my remote path name is wrong;

Remote Host Name: username:pwd@x.x.x.x (is this the username and pwd for my server or ZM? if it's for ZM, I don't remember adding one)

Remote Host Port: 8080 (which matches the router)
Remote Host Path: /videostream.cgi (not sure if this is where I shoudl be pointing to)

Any other suggestions?
linclkh

Post by linclkh »

Q-(is this the username and pwd for my server )NO
ZM-NO
Cam-username and pwd=yes

What do mean by server? nevermind

All setting are based on the camera settings. you have to log on to the camera setup page to check the settings.
You will use the username and pwd that you use to log on to the cam. port # is in the cam setup under network config. you use the ip that the router assigns to the cam.

while you are in the cam setup, check and see what Capture Width and Height that it is set at and use that in ZM.

I edited my first post take a look.
bolick

Post by bolick »

I've got one of the clones of Foscam ip-cameras.
I had just the same issue: motion picture availability through camera's own web-interface or through direct m-jpeg viewing in web-browser: "CAM_IP/videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd="

And no picture at all while added as monitor in ZoneMinder.

But once I got Foscam's command description that available here: http://www.computersolutions.cn/blog/wp ... 7-1.11.pdf
(thanks to user888 from thread http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=57023).

I found out that another parameter might be applied: resolution.
And this parameter has 2 available values: 8 - for 320x240 and 32 - for 640x480.

So, finally we have video stream path for 640x480 video: videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=&resolution=32

ZM's monitor setup on the "Source" tab is:
======================
Remote Protocol: HTTP
Remote Method: Simple
Remote Host Name: CAMERA_IP
Remote Host Port: 80
Remote Host Path: videostream.cgi?user=admin&pwd=&resolution=32
Remote Image Colours: 24 bit colour
Capture Width (pixels): 640
Capture Height (pixels): 480
Preserve Aspect Ratio: not set
Orientation: Normal