Problem with EasyCap

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Bypx

Problem with EasyCap

Post by Bypx »

Hi!

I've tried all the possibile options to get work this Easycap 05e1:0408 Syntek Semiconductor but with no luck.

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and i've compiled the drivers: http://sourceforge.net/projects/easycapdc60/ and seems to working fine. I can see the image from the camera using Motion or others sw. But I can't get it to work with ZoneMinder, I can see only stripes or black screen.

Any hint?
vst

Post by vst »

Mine works fine with ZM. Here is the option list I use:

Code: Select all

Device: /dev/easycap0
Method: Video for Linux version 2
Device channel: 0
Device format: NTSC
Palette: YUYV
Width: 320
Height: 240
Driver is version 0.8.3. Hope this helps you set up yours.
rmt1947

Post by rmt1947 »

Hi,

Since version 0.8.4 (released October 18th) the driver incorporates a feature which displays a testcard (vertical monochrome stripes) whenever it cannot lock onto an incoming analogue video signal. One reason for a failure to lock is simply that the physical connection to the video source is bad (flaky cable or connector). But there will also be a failure to lock if, for example, the driver is being asked to connect to a PAL source and that source is in reality NTSC. With ZoneMinder there is another complication: inputs 2, 3, and 4 may display a black screen instead of the testcard when there is a failure to lock (for reasons not yet known).

Assuming that all cables and connectors are OK, I'd advise checking that the source configuration in ZoneMinder shows the correct device format, etc, as suggested in the recent post by vst.

@vst:
Nice to hear your setup is working. Driver versions 0.8.4 or 0.8.5 should in theory be even more stable with ZoneMinder, but I can't guarantee it because I have only limited resources here for testing ZoneMinder myself (I have a single NTSC videotape and a single PAL camera).

Mike
savoy9020

Post by savoy9020 »

So, the EasyCap 4 port is possible to use in zoneminder?

There's a lot of conflicting information.

Bill
rmt1947

Post by rmt1947 »

Hi Bill,

The EasyCAP002, with four CVBS inputs and microphone input (USB ID 05e1:0408 ), can be made to work on Linux with the driver from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/easycapdc60/

although it is rather tricky to configure and you will get no more than about 1 frame per second per monitor on a round-robin basis when using multiple inputs. For many applications this is not really adequate.

Unless you need functioning audio I would recommend driver version 0.8.5. (The latest driver version 0.9 provides ALSA audio instead of OSS in order to support Ubuntu 10.10 and other distributions which disable OSS - but I guess audio is rarely required by people using ZoneMinder.) The file README.ZM included in the driver tarball explains how I set up ZoneMinder to work with the driver, but I am not an expert on ZoneMinder and it may be possible to find better settings with some experimentation.

Mike
pystik

Post by pystik »

I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 LTS and i've compiled the drivers: http://sourceforge.net/projects/easycapdc60/ and seems to working fine. I can see the image from the camera using Motion or others sw. But I can't get it to work with ZoneMinder, I can see only stripes or black screen.
I have the same problem,hope someone helps us ...

p.s.
to have a good streaming ... then 25/fps in pal what do you recommend??
only usb please
savoy9020

Post by savoy9020 »

Mike,

Thanks for the quick reply. It may not be fast enough, but figured it is
worth a try. I'm using Ubuntu Server 10.10. I'll try the 0.85 driver as you suggested and see what happens.

Bill

rmt1947 wrote:Hi Bill,

The EasyCAP002, with four CVBS inputs and microphone input (USB ID 05e1:0408 ), can be made to work on Linux with the driver from

http://sourceforge.net/projects/easycapdc60/

although it is rather tricky to configure and you will get no more than about 1 frame per second per monitor on a round-robin basis when using multiple inputs. For many applications this is not really adequate.

Unless you need functioning audio I would recommend driver version 0.8.5. (The latest driver version 0.9 provides ALSA audio instead of OSS in order to support Ubuntu 10.10 and other distributions which disable OSS - but I guess audio is rarely required by people using ZoneMinder.) The file README.ZM included in the driver tarball explains how I set up ZoneMinder to work with the driver, but I am not an expert on ZoneMinder and it may be possible to find better settings with some experimentation.

Mike