Shared Host

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
crzipilot

Shared Host

Post by crzipilot »

Can someone tell me if ZM can be installed on a shared host service, like 1on1 etc?

I have an account with enough bandwidth, just not sure if or how it can be installed on the host.

I have FTP access etc etc, but to my knowledge I don't have shell access.

Would the install require shell access?

Thank you.
scsi

Post by scsi »

Any shared host would ban your account 10 mins after launching this. It is very cpu intensive and is against most tos of many hosts.
joako

Post by joako »

I doubt that you will be able to install the needed daemon in a shared webhosting environment. You might want to look into what's called a VPS but be warned you get what you pay for, many of those for $10/month or less will have poor performance no matter what you do with it.
zendev

Post by zendev »

joako wrote:I doubt that you will be able to install the needed daemon in a shared webhosting environment. You might want to look into what's called a VPS but be warned you get what you pay for, many of those for $10/month or less will have poor performance no matter what you do with it.
Jaoko is correct, a shared host will not allow you to install the necessary components needed to run ZM. You would be required to get a VPS and even then you might get the boot if you abuse the server as many of the bargain basement VPS hosts bank on the fact that 98% of their users will not tax the CPU and RAM of their VPS so that they can oversell the hardware. I know this because I attempted to do exactly what you're trying to do with a cheap VPS host and I did get my account terminated because they said I violated the TOS which I didn't but its my word against theirs...

If you do go the VPS route, make sure to read plenty of reviews and the TOS very carefully because if I had done so in the beginning, I would have saved myself a lot of headache. Now that I work for a datacenter/hosting company as a Sys Admin I don't have to worry about that though :D.

Ryan