Multi-threading (quad core) support?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
Pyrrhic

Multi-threading (quad core) support?

Post by Pyrrhic »

Dear Fellows:

I am doing an upgrade (now I have Zoneminder working on Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop) and I was wondering if anyone knows if I would gert a significant performance benefit from going with a quad core CPU instead of a dual core?

Best,

P.
bdmcnxn

Re: Multi-threading (quad core) support?

Post by bdmcnxn »

Pyrrhic wrote: I am doing an upgrade (now I have Zoneminder working on Ubuntu 10.10 Desktop) and I was wondering if anyone knows if I would gert a significant performance benefit from going with a quad core CPU instead of a dual core?
There are multiple processes in action, tied to each video source, and since most of them are CPU-bound (i.e. mostly doing computation of some kind)... additional cores would definitely help, however that may also depend on how strained are your current 2 cores... do you have indications that they are already having enough to do ? Especially so if you have modect.

I've not idea if any of the ZM processes are multithreaded or not. If they are, then you benefit there as well.

PS> speaking only based on Unix general concepts here, and general observation of ZM.
mastertheknife

Post by mastertheknife »

ZM isn't multithreaded but at the moment theres pretty much no need for multithreading in ZM, because zm is divided into processes and the kernel spreads the processes on all available CPUs, pretty much the same effect as multithreading, where the kernel spreads the threads on all available CPUs.

mastertheknife.
Pyrrhic

Thank you...

Post by Pyrrhic »

Colleagues:

Thank you B and M for your replies. Based on these indications (and the load on my pathetic Pentium D 3.06 single core processor) and my increasing needs including moving to wireless I have purchased a quad core chip, with a new MoBo and more RAM. I am hoping to use both my older wired (coax) cameras and also some new wireless cams on the same Zoneminder instance. We shall see!

Best,

P.