Which filesystem do you prefer?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
NokSuKao

Which filesystem do you prefer?

Post by NokSuKao »

Hi,

which filesystem do you prefer for zoneminder system? I have tested ext4 but had some problems with the performance i think. I read about
reiserfs or reiser4 and think there is a better performance. Can someone acknowledge that?

thx

NokSuKao
Paranoid

Re: Which filesystem do you prefer?

Post by Paranoid »

I wouldn't use reiserfs or reiser4. The original lead developer (Hans Reiser) has been jailed for murder and it is uncertain what development is now taking place with it.

There are a couple of things you can do to improve performance.

If you have large numbers of events then you should consider setting the "Use a deep filesystem hierarchy" in Options->Paths in ZoneMinder.

WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!
Changing to or from "Use a deep filesystem hierarchy" will result in losing all old events when zmaudit.pl runs.
END OF WARNING

If your events generate lots of images ( in the hundreds ) then you need to ensure that the ext4 filesystem has the dir_index feature set. This is usually set by default. You can check by executing the following command: dumpe2fs -h <device>

When you mount the filesystem then use the "noatime" option. This will prevent the filesystem being updated whenever a file or directory is accessed. It will also mean you wont be able to see when a file was last accessed.