Ubuntu 12.04 and Bt878a chipped DVR - no image in xawtv

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
OrangeCctver

Ubuntu 12.04 and Bt878a chipped DVR - no image in xawtv

Post by OrangeCctver »

Hi,

So I have been trawling your forums for a few weeks and come as far as I possibly could without making any further positive progress. After a few weeks of trying on and off, I will now admit. I need some serious help!

I am running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Pentium Dual core machine with 4GB or RAM. I have Zoneminder 1.25, all is up to date.

I initially tried getting Zoneminder to work with my Webcams, which work in Cheese but I couldn't make it work in ZM.

Recently I went and bought a Conexant Fusion Bt878 card and a real CCTV camera just to see if my problem wasn't just webcam related. Sadly, it wasn't.

I have ZM at a stage now where I don't see any Error messages in my ZM log, all looks healty, except, I have no images\video. I am also not able to see anything in xawtv.
1. I have set bttv.conf in /etc/modprobe.d/bttv.conf
2. I have set shmmax and shmall
3. Swopped PCI slots, booted with only the single DVR card.
3. and many other things.....

At this point I believe my problem is driver related as I cannot see xawtv output. My camera works, I tested it out on my TV.

I am basically looking for some guidance in what and how to test to bridge this hurdle. All the web pages\forum posts\help pages I got my hands on pointed to the bttv.conf file for Ubuntu for this type of problem. I have that and it still doesn't work, where to now?

Anybody, please?
OrangeCctver

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 and Bt878a chipped DVR - no image in xawtv

Post by OrangeCctver »

I managed to get a USB Webcam working under xawtv, but that is it. I am not that great with Linux OSs so I think that is holding me back a bit. I would really appreciate some guidance here, please. Still nothing via my PCI DVR card......it's really annoying!
tbrsc

Post by tbrsc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD8fvQOSOIM

an easy guide for using a USB web cam from another ubuntu machine.
have done this with a logitech camera
easy stuff

good luck
OrangeCctver

Post by OrangeCctver »

Thanks tbrsc, will have a look! Will post feedback.
tbrsc

Post by tbrsc »

mjpg streamer has to be run on a 32 bit machine if memory serves.
it will not work on a 64 bit machine

the logitech configuration in ZM was...

remote=HTTP
method=Regexp
host=IP address of remote machine
port = 8080
path=/?action=stream
colour= 24 bit
width=640
height=480