Best way to migrate from master PPA to 1.28?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
c128

Best way to migrate from master PPA to 1.28?

Post by c128 »

Currently using the iconnor's master PPA, as I'm on Ubuntu 14.04.

Now, I'd prefer to be using the latest formal release rather than a master snap-shot going forward. However, seeing as I've invested a bit of time getting my master version up and running ;-) .

Is there a simple upgrade (sidegrade?) to switch to the standard 1.28 PPA from the master PPA?
bbunge

Re: Best way to migrate from master PPA to 1.28?

Post by bbunge »

sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

then

add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder
apt-get update
c128

Post by c128 »

bbunge wrote:sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-master

then

add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder
apt-get update
Ah, thanks, I know I can switch the repository :) .

It was more a question about whether there were any issues with doing this.

I don't know the relationship between the last iconnor master build and what's been delivered for 1.28 e.g. problematic database schema changes etc.

Have you made the switch between the two and is all OK?
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

No, have not done a "switch." I usually start with a fresh install of Ubuntu for testing purposes. I did a, install of 1.26.5 on Ubuntu 14.04-1, added the PPA then upgraded to 1.28.0 and all worked well. My "test" PC is set up with 1.28.0 now with two USB cameras on mocord to fill up the disk to make sure the purge when full filter works OK. I had some issues with this on 1.26.5...

bb
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

Hi,

I'm in the same boat I have a stable install of 1.27.99 however I switched repository's and did the upgrade to 1.28.
The upgrade went well and so far so good everything is working as expected. I'll report back if I see any errors.
c128

Post by c128 »

Biggus wrote:Hi,

I'm in the same boat I have a stable install of 1.27.99 however I switched repository's and did the upgrade to 1.28.
The upgrade went well and so far so good everything is working as expected. I'll report back if I see any errors.
Excellent - thanks for that. Would be interested to hear how you get on.
Biggus

Post by Biggus »

So far so good, However when I have my cameras set on libvlc there now stream at a shocking framerate of 1.4fps where before would stream at 15fps, sometimes the camera does jump up to 15fps but then slows back down to 1.4fps. When I switch to ffmpeg it works fine, however I suffer from smudges in that mode.
c128

Post by c128 »

Biggus wrote:So far so good, However when I have my cameras set on libvlc there now stream at a shocking framerate of 1.4fps where before would stream at 15fps, sometimes the camera does jump up to 15fps but then slows back down to 1.4fps. When I switch to ffmpeg it works fine, however I suffer from smudges in that mode.
Thanks.

Took the plunge and just went for a repo swapping update. Went smoothly.

Seems fine for me, so far, although I'm ffmpeg all the way, pre and post the upgrade. libvlc spewed errors for me and generated a heavy load when using it against the master version on my original master install (although was fine on an older Ubuntu 12.04 install when I was using 1.27).
c128

Post by c128 »

Bit of an update, since it's just over a week since shifting.

Don't seem to have any problems at all - a smooth transition.

I've also started using a new camera with libvlc, and I'm getting none of the errors in the log that I saw with the master build. Might not be related though...not tried with the old cameras that libvlc definitely didn't like when using master.