Keeping disk usage to a minimum

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
LeaAnthony

Keeping disk usage to a minimum

Post by LeaAnthony »

I've got ZM running on a server with 200G partition for the data. It has filled up very quickly because of the necessity to record for most of the day. Even though we go through and manually delete events, it seems that the auditor isn't working that well, even though there is no errors in the logs. What I'm after is to be able to get ZM to ffmpeg every event at the end of the day and have it in an archive for review. Is this possible? I'd be interested to hear from other users...
SyRenity

Post by SyRenity »

Hello.

I'm working on a script, which will be run via the ZM filters system, and will compress the JPG's to MPG, removing the JPG's. The problem is, that I need to modify ZM to support these MPG's, meaning, it will recognize that the video was converted and playback it accordingly. It's under works, but will be eventually completed.

When it done, I will submit this script to the contrib. forum.
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

You can create filters that run custom scripts. It wouldn't necessarily be at the end of the day but your script could do the video conversion and any tidying up for events as they were created.

Phil
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

How are the filters actually run?
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

The zmfilter.pl script periodically runs any saved filters and executes any actions those filters are defined to execute. To make a filter run automatically just 'save' it and check one or more of the boxes depending on what you want it to do.

Phil
gnuorder

Post by gnuorder »

Yes, I found another thread on the subject of why they dont run, the one about missing mime::something. I think that was my problem too. My disk is far from full so I will have to make some other script to test it.