Anyone tried this IP camera with ZM?

Post here to indicate any hardware you have used and which is known to work with ZoneMinder. Not for questions.
Blazer

Anyone tried this IP camera with ZM?

Post by Blazer »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 97258&rd=1

There seems to be a LOT of these on ebay, both wired and wireless versions. I'm considering setting up 2-3 of the wired ones, using POE to simply the wiring.

I have yet to try ZM though so I am wondering what sort of performance (FPS) I can execpt to get from 3 IP cameras.
cordel

Post by cordel »

They say
The cameras support JPEG Image, MJPEG Video
So good chance that it would.

You say POE!
I didn't read anything about POE in the page. Might want to make sure it supports it unless your buying adaptors for both ends.
Regards,
Cordel
2tomcats

Re: Anyone tried this IP camera with ZM?

Post by 2tomcats »

Blazer wrote: eBay Link
I've tested 2 of these wireless cams some time ago. Both had the same problems:

a) After some time (between 30 minutes and 5 hours) they stopped responding and must be resetted.

b) FPS was around _3_ (three) with ZM, never tested the Windows software.

c) the picture quality is ok as long as there is enough light. As soon as it gets darker, the picture became b/w and _very_ coarse grained.

A reference:
Among others i use a really good (but old) surveillance camera with an external RF module (so also a kind of wireless device ;-).

With the good camera i was able to read a cars' licence plate which was 10 meters away. With the 'bad' one i could hardly see the car.
This was during the night (dark), the scene was illuminated with a 500 W halogen flooder mounted above the cameras.

I don't know about the wired cams you mentioned, but i don't think that they differ from the wireless ones reagarding the picture quality.

So my hint is, save some money and buy really good cams. On the long run, this is _much_ cheaper.

Uli
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

cordel wrote:They say
The cameras support JPEG Image, MJPEG Video
So good chance that it would.

You say POE!
I didn't read anything about POE in the page. Might want to make sure it supports it unless your buying adaptors for both ends.
Regards,
Cordel
Yes I intend to make my own POE adapters :-) I get employee discount from Cisco/Linksys but they are still too expensive (and bulky).
Blazer

Post by Blazer »

2tomcats wrote: I've tested 2 of these wireless cams some time ago. Both had the same problems:

a) After some time (between 30 minutes and 5 hours) they stopped responding and must be resetted.
Hmmm do you know if it was a wireless problem, or the camera itself crashed? If just a wireless problem then it won't matter as I intend to use the wired versions.
b) FPS was around _3_ (three) with ZM, never tested the Windows software.
3FPS? ouch. Something must be wrong there, even crappy USB cameras get better than that...then again maybe this is the nature of any IP camera (because it has to send http requests for the images)?
c) the picture quality is ok as long as there is enough light. As soon as it gets darker, the picture became b/w and _very_ coarse grained.
Yeah when it gets dark it goes into night mode (turns on IR LEDs and switchs to black and white).
A reference:
Among others i use a really good (but old) surveillance camera with an external RF module (so also a kind of wireless device ;-).
But you still have to supply power to the camera right? So not truly wireless :(
With the good camera i was able to read a cars' licence plate which was 10 meters away. With the 'bad' one i could hardly see the car.
This was during the night (dark), the scene was illuminated with a 500 W halogen flooder mounted above the cameras.
Yeah I would agree that a decent CCD camera is much better quality than any USB or typical "IP/Network" cameras.
I don't know about the wired cams you mentioned, but i don't think that they differ from the wireless ones reagarding the picture quality.
They are exactly the same except for being wired instead of wireless, so yeah picture quality is probably the same.
So my hint is, save some money and buy really good cams. On the long run, this is _much_ cheaper.
Yeah I think you are right. I was trying to go a different route than having a dedicated capture card with the BNC connectors etc...Network cameras seemed like a good solution, but alas I dont think they will give good FPS, and most network cameras have poor image quality as they are meant for indoors and/or optimum lighting conditions.
2tomcats

Post by 2tomcats »

Blazer wrote: If just a wireless problem then it won't matter as I intend to use the wired versions.
I discussed this with the seller of the cam. He told me he could reproduce the problem with the 2 cams i returned to him and had similar probs with other wireless cams as soon as they became warm.
I think it is definitiv a temperatur problem caused by the small chassis and the wireless stuff inside. You know how warm this wireless stuff gets.
this is the nature of any IP camera
I hope not. I'm still planning to buy a few in the future
But you still have to supply power to the camera right?
What is more likely? To have a power socket somewhere around or an ethernet cable?
Anyway, for me, this is an almost perfect solution as this "mobile" cam is mounted on a little tripod. I use it wherever i want to monitor something.
And this mentioned RF equipment was lying around and after the bad experience with the WLAN stuff i needed a quick and cheap solution.

So, good look for your project and keep us informed

Uli
bbrazell

Gadspot Camera

Post by bbrazell »

I just installed one of these cameras (http://gadspot.com/products/nc1000l10.html) on my house and added it to the ZoneMinder device list. When I try to monitor it I get a broken link. Does anyone know the URL/path to the captured images on the camera?

Thanks!
bbrazell

Found a list of possible URLs but...

Post by bbrazell »

Found this link with a little googling. http://www.crazypixels.com/support.htm

I tried entering /GetData.cgi in the remote host path field within ZM but it still doesn't display an image.

Once again, does anyone know the URL? It appears that someone has got this camera working. Please help!
Gadspot UK

Some programming support

Post by Gadspot UK »

The following information on our site may help:

Gadspot API_Reference Pages

:D
zoneminder
Site Admin

Post by zoneminder »

Thanks for posting this. I will add these cameras to the presets if I can.
Phil