Zoneminder 1.29.0 not creating monitor directory under /tmp/zm

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
olgs

Zoneminder 1.29.0 not creating monitor directory under /tmp/zm

Post by olgs »

My installation is working fine, except it is impossible to used DVR delay with more than two cameras at once.

All the monitors want to create the buffered delay images in /tmp/zm and not separate directories as specified in the documentation.

This is a Ubuntu 14.04 install, following the guide.

I have turned debug on, but I never see the "Swap path '%s' missing, creating" message that the source code of zm_monitor.cpp suggest I should see.

Any ideas?

kl
bbunge

Re: Zoneminder 1.29.0 not creating monitor directory under /tmp/zm

Post by bbunge »

Check this out:

https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Ubuntu_Serv ... e_easy_way

You do not get separate directories for your PATH_SWAP. In fact you may want to change PATH_SWAP to your tmpfs or /run/shm for Ubuntu 14.04. The files that are created while streaming from a monitor display are not that large and will add up till they get to 10000 then start over rewriting the ones there. Using tmpfs is way faster than writing to your hard drive!
olgs

Post by olgs »

@bbunge

I followed that guide to install my server.

I already tried changing PATH_SWAP to /run/shm.

I have seen files that number from 0000-9999 in that directory, the issue is that each _monitor_ will starting writing files of the same name in that single directory, and whichever one has a higher framerate will eventually win the race.

To see this, setup two monitors, one at 1fps, another at 10fps. Then pause the 1fps monitor, triggering the buffered delay view. After 5 minutes or so, try viewing the delayed images, and you can see that it is no longer playing back the images from the 1fps monitor, but the 10fps monitor.
bbunge

Post by bbunge »

To solve that watch your monitors in montage view. Montage does not write buffer files...
jtech

Post by jtech »

Hi bunge,

The behavior olgs describes sounds like a bug.
The option help under Paths states: "ZM_PATH_SWAP

Buffered playback requires temporary swap images to be stored for each instance of the streaming daemons. This option determines where these images will be stored. The images will actually be stored in sub directories beneath this location and will be automatically cleaned up after a period of time."

It seems to be sharing the same ring buffer, instead of either separately named files, or the same filenames under different subdirectories as it states in the help above..

I tried to view two monitors, one is 6 FPS and the other is 15 FPS.
When I paused the 6FPS monitor and put it on "rewind" I see the correct video image reversing for a little while.
Then it flips over to the other 15 FPS video buffer's stored images, then once the Buffer % hits 100% it stops and flips back to "live" mode and back to the correct feed.

Just a note: If you're monitoring a larger IP view it might be a bit higher disk/memory usage (for a ramdisk) than you think..
After watching the monitor for a single 1280 x 960 IP camera, the disk usage in that /tmp/zm folder is 332 MB once all the old zmswap-i00xxx.jpg images are overwritten by the monitor.