How fast does the hard disk need to be - 10 cameras?

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
mattj

How fast does the hard disk need to be - 10 cameras?

Post by mattj »

I'm building a dedicated ZoneMinder PC and I'm wondering what level of hard disk I need to buy? My goal is 10-12 cameras, possibly up to 5MP (1920p), 7fps. My top choice with be a Western Digital SE 6TB, their data center drive because it handles multiple streams faster than any of their others, but it's very expensive at $350. Their Re series drive is only slower when writing many streams simultaneously but is about $50 cheaper. Their "purple series" security aimed drives are significantly cheaper, but a lot slower when writing many stream simultaneously. For you guys with many cameras, what drives are you using?
gerdesj

Re: How fast does the hard disk need to be - 10 cameras?

Post by gerdesj »

You already asked that one and got some pretty reasonable answers I thought. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=25044

There are so many variables: bit rate, colour depth, number of cameras, OS tuning, method of reading the cameras (RTSP/ffmpeg etc). The only thing I will say is get something with a RAID controller. Old second hand DC kit can be had for ... oh sorry - attic - they are bloody noisy. However most Tower servers are pretty quiet. I have a Dell T420 at home running VMWare and quite a lot of other VMs with two cameras on it. Dedicated I think it would handle what you want. Our office ZM has six cameras on it and is one of many VMs with Equallogic iSCSI SANs for storage - the servers are a mix of Dell R610 and 310 (not high spec). I have a customer with an old laptop running three cameras. I had to lower the frame rate to 15.

There is no right answer. try it and good luck.