Zoneminder install under FC6 questions

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
JimS

Zoneminder install under FC6 questions

Post by JimS »

I am wanting to install Zoneminder under FC6. I am new to Linux so am proceeding carefully. Did a net install of FC6 with no problems but still learning my way around....

What is the difference between the FC6 step by step install directions vs. the package in the extras? If they are similar what stuff does the extra package assume I have already installed (that doesn't get installed as a dependency with yum? Does the extra package include the patch mentioned in the step by step? Is this sort of stuff documented somewhere? I take it there is some sort of documentation file in the extras package but how do I access it without actually installing the package.

I have been working my way through the step by step. I had to search around a bit for the ffmpeg package and one of the sites was livna. I have read that I shouldn't mix repositories. My understanding is that livna did not play well with some of the others so I was better off with others. Is this true or is this not a real concern? How would I know if I had a problem?

Thanks,

Jim
tgutwin

Try the extras package

Post by tgutwin »

I built everything from source so these are just my thoughts based on a bunch of other installs.

You are probably best off with the extras package.
Setup the livna repo and do a

Code: Select all

yum install zoneminder
It will search for required packages and report what you don't have and where it wants to download from before it proceeds.
I have had a few issues with mixing repos but have always been able to work through them using the --enablerepo and --disablerepo options with yum when I need to update and a conflict came up.
You can also disable the livna repo after this install by going into the

/etc/yum.repos.d/livna.repo
and setting

enabled=0
Original announcement is http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... highlight=
mebourne might be able to give you better info on the extras rpm requirements.

tom
------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Let Software Push You Around... Push Back
------------------------------------------------------------