1.22.3 LiveCD Install Error

Support and queries relating to third party Live CDs and DVD, VM images and other packaged distributions
retrial5

1.22.3 LiveCD Install Error

Post by retrial5 »

Hello,

I tried the 1.22.3 LiveCD and it booted fine. I had no problems. When I tried to install it, I selected the media to install it to (IDE,SATA drive) and it said "I can not find room to install".

This PC is brand new and only had mandriva on it before (I couldn't get ZM to work due to my lack of linux skill). I have a WD SATA hard drive, LG DVD Rom and a gig of ram.

Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?

Regards
cordel

Post by cordel »

Which LiveCD did you download. Sorry but there are now several LiveCD's now.
retrial5

Post by retrial5 »

I downloaded the one listed here: http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8253

Due to the fact that 1.22.2 would not support my SATA drive.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

the kernel is 2.6.17 i think so anything that requires a newer kernel will not work, does it have an IDE compatibility mode?
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
retrial5

Post by retrial5 »

Well the choices for media to install upon are limited. You have two:

+ IDE / SATA Drive
+ USB Drive

I choose IDE / SATA and I get the error, (the USB does it also). I had installed the newest Mandriva, 2008 I believe, and it worked fine. I had extreme trouble getting the ZoneMinder program up and running due to my lack of linux knowledge. This LiveCD would be the best for me.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

im sure it would lol but if the sata chipset isnt detected or compatible with 2.6.17 kernel it aint gonna happen. Im assuming 2008 is based on something like a 2.6.22 kernel. so thats why it sees the drives and the live cd doesnt. If you cant select a legacy ide mode in the bios, then your hardware is too new to use the live cd im afraid without much work
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
retrial5

Post by retrial5 »

The only Legacy item I can find in my Bios is for a floppy. I guess im back to Mandriva 2008 and trying to figure out how to get ZM installed.

The issue I had was, once I finally got the program to compile, there was no "make" command either as the user or super user.

Is this a difference in kernels?
john_l_b

Won't weork for Kodicim 4400P

Post by john_l_b »

The Kodicom 4400P requires kernel 2,6,22 or later.
KegRaider

Post by KegRaider »

Hi retrial5,

I know this is an old topic, but I am hoping this helps others.

I also had this problem, but fixed it using a different livecd distro to CREATE the partitions first. For some reason, I couldn't create the partitions on my 500G SATA Disk using the Mandriva livecd. I have an Nforce chipset, with AM2 64 Bit athlon driving it.

Once you create the partitions using your favourite tool (cfdisk), boot with your livecd, and just add the mount points you want.

-->KegRaider.