Zoneminder interfering with VLC capture

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
quentusrex

Zoneminder interfering with VLC capture

Post by quentusrex »

I have VLC player setup to stream video from my capture card. It works fine for /dev/video0 channel 0, but for /dev/video3 channel 0, and /dev/video2 channel 1 Zoneminder causes flicker between other cameras.

When I'm watching the video stream from 0-0, I can see a beautiful video stream from the proper camera. But when I try to watch the video stream from camera 2-1, or 3-0 I get flickers. One frame will be from camera 2-1, and I think the next will be from 2-0, and back and forth. Same with camera 3-0. But when I stop Zoneminder there is no flicker.
quentusrex

Post by quentusrex »

Ok, it turns out that the flicker is between 2-0 and 2-1, and between 3-0 and 3-1. So, is it my card? or is it zoneminder? Since it only happens when zoneminder is running.
quentusrex

Post by quentusrex »

I've narrowed it down even further. It seems the card I'm using can't process an image stream for both channels on the same device at the same time.
jameswilson

Post by jameswilson »

you are right
James Wilson

Disclaimer: The above is pure theory and may work on a good day with the wind behind it. etc etc.
http://www.securitywarehouse.co.uk
quentusrex

Post by quentusrex »

Now the question is why does this happen, and is it fixable?
cordel

Post by cordel »

I happens because as you said, only one input is viewable at a time. When you configure ZM to look at two inputs on the same device, it has to scan through the inputs to capture an image from each input.
It is behaving like it should.