1st Time User Looking For Camera

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
Carlwill

1st Time User Looking For Camera

Post by Carlwill »

I am looking for any web camera or anything that anyone knows will 100% work with ZM. I really don't have equipment to test with so that means I need to order a camera for home use and I want to make sure what I order is fully compatible with ZM. Does anyone know what is the best camera recommendation for home use? I have wireless but don't care if it's wired or wireless.

Thanks for any help!
It said install Windows 98 or better so I installed Linux...
Carlwill

Post by Carlwill »

Anyone know if this camera will work?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6881152012
Lee Sharp

Post by Lee Sharp »

That is an analog camera, and will require a composite input. If you need hardware that will "just work" a few seconds of research will show items that "just work." And they are usually not the cheapest hun of junk on the net.
Carlwill

Post by Carlwill »

Are there composite input cards available so I can make this analog camera work? I can't find anything in the search for composite cards for Linux. Sorry...
pathway

Post by pathway »

First off, Welcome to Zoneminder! Don't fret if you can't find the information right away on support, it's coming along, but still a work in progress.

The camera you're looking at is an analog camera. The ability to record an Analog Camera on Zoneminder requires a compatible capture card. I'd check out http://www.bluecherry.net/ as they have a list of ZoneMinder compatible capture cards with various number of ports and frame rates.

If you have additional questions, I would read the documentation from ZM's website. It's quite long and detailed, but will help you understand what ZM can and cannot do.

--Pathway