Linksys NSLU2 vs AXIS 233 on 1.24.1

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.
newvisionantenna

Linksys NSLU2 vs AXIS 233 on 1.24.1

Post by newvisionantenna »

You guys be the judge, both are coming from remote locations connected to a VPS hosted service in the States. Both are now set for 320x240 and have no limit atleast on Zoneminders end for fps. I notice people are starting to express some interest in lower cost solutions so, be the judge, give some feedback on what you think and what else I could bring to the table. The NSLU2 has two usb camera's plugged into it right now and the same can be done with the ASUS routers I'm working on.

Everysince 1.24.0 and greater the quality just keeps getting better. Keep the updates coming and I'm looking forward to Cordel's updates to the mjpgStreamer.pm file. I was hoping to have the ability to mapped movement via the mouse on the Orbit but it's not done yet.

The NSLU2/Orbit AF pan and tilt cost about $150
The Axis 233 cost about $2000

http://67.210.200.98/zm/

Login in with admin/admin
zoneminder_andre

NSLU

Post by zoneminder_andre »

Hey,

what software did you put on the NSLU2 to capture 2 USB webcams?
Is this MJPEG?

André
newvisionantenna

That NSLU2 is running Openwrt 7.09. It's a fully read write system which allows you to change all kinds of things. It's very simple to change camera settings and it's all automatic at the moment. You just plug UVC style camera's in and mjpg_streamer starts each feed on a differnet port. You can even password protect the feeds and turn off the simple html interface it runs. I'll put together a post on how to do this and I'll probably sell prebuilt one's if people are interested. I know they are getting hard to come by but I've got a pretty good connection that get's me new ones in the box.
zoneminder_andre

I have one NSLU2 running right in front of me ... but it currently only supports one webcam with mjpegstreamer. So I would be very interested in the post how to setup the unit with 2 cam support ...
newvisionantenna

I'll get something written up, been super busy updating my VPS WiFi Gator server. If you have the NSLU2 and mjpg_streamer running now you can easily get another camera going manually. All you have to do is start mjpg_streamer via a command prompt or connected with putty the way you do now, then plug in a second camera and make sure dmesg or something shows it being picked up. Then edit the mjpg_streamer command to indicate the correct video input and just off set the output port. That's pretty much what my script does now and is modified based off a time lapse camera build someone did awhile back.
zoneminder_andre

Hey, did you progess with your writeup regarding the NSLU2???

Thanks in advance!
André
newvisionantenna

I've been so busy I almost forgot about that. I'll get something in here this weekend, promise. I'll Pm you a custom firmware also that will do it automatically for you. If you don't mind me asking what are you running at the moment on the Slug? I've had everything from full on Debian, SlugOS, to Kamiakze now.

I've completed a huge round of test's and used the Slug as a pretend "IP Camera" connected to my wireless mesh building setup. It worked just as expected and I can now proceed with Zoneminder tracking IP camera's running in a wireless mesh network without need for any "Port Forwarding" and will remain tracked no matter how the network shifts. I had it working before but I wanted it all automated and hassle free. I was pretty impressed myself when everything came together, just new it would work out. Sorry for going off subject but for this to work out is just amazing.