Black image on one of the moniters, some work though.

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.24.x releases only.

Are your cameras set at 640x480 or greater

Poll ended at Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Yes
27%
No
55%
1280x1024 or greater
18%

Total votes: 11

treesloth

Black image on one of the moniters, some work though.

Post by treesloth »

I was getting a black image on all of the moniters, until I lowered the resolution. A vivotek bullet camera is remaining black, even on the lowest possible resolution, I've tried adjusting just about every option from the cameras configuration screen.

I have applied the command for increasing shared memory in the terminal and the config file, but it must not have worked cause I had to lower the resulotion to 350x240 to see the three I have set up.

The resolution for the camera is at 352x240, and that is what the stream poperties are in a browser view.

I would like to record them all 704x480 if I could fix the image from being broken(all black). If any one has a tip I'd be pretty gateful. I am running bluecherry(xubuntu): AMD64x2-6000+ 2gigs of ram and recent graphics card
newvisionantenna

Post by newvisionantenna »

http://67.210.200.98/

Nothing against it but the Xubuntu cd is based on an old build of Zoneminder. That's probably nothing to do with your black screen but everyone I've gave my DVD out to has no issue getting higher resolution using the shared memory options.

Now that I think about it the Xubuntu Live Cd has the mapped memory option turned out. I could be wrong, but that's probably your issue and why the entries your making for shared memory has no effect.

This is taken from the Live cd post,

"This is the first time that our Live CD has been built with MMAP support. I'm not sure how this works exactly...and I don't believe it uses the standard shared memory covered in the WIKI. So I'm not sure why your resolution breaks at 640x480...i'll try to look at it this week"
treesloth

then why

Post by treesloth »

If memory mapping is on then why am I getting a black screen at 640x480. Three moniters are working on 350x240 :cry:

and one of the vivotek cameras puts out a black screen at any resulotion.

I really nead to tackle this problem :x
newvisionantenna

I have built Zoneminder both with the option on and without it. I've found it much easier to get 640x480 and greater with memory mapping off and manually doing the shared memory settings. I bet if you took the same camera's and had memory mapping off you would get the res you want. Until there is more documentation or people saying exactly how it works I would just go with the old way of doing it.
allanE

Post by allanE »

For what it is worth, I have 4 cameras running 640x480, and 5 running 400x400 on an unmodified install of the "bluecherry Live cd. It is running in a VM set up as a two processor 2gig memory system. No problem with resolution set up "memory mapping".
Allan
treesloth

Ohh man

Post by treesloth »

why can you view tham at 640x480 but I can't. :twisted: :twisted: I did a fresh install of bluecherry with the same specs and get ust a black screen at that resolution
allanE

Post by allanE »

I do not know why mine will work and yours will not. Here are some things I have found that seem to matter

1) the camera must be set for the same resolution as you are calling for.

2) image buffer size needs to be set high enough, mine is at 50

Everything else has to do with getting the path right to the camera.

I think for the shared memory settings to have any effect you would have to recompile with that option.It is a choice that is made during build.
I find that after changing settings, paths,resolution etc it helped to stop and restart ZM. Seems to give it a fresh look at things.
Sorry that I cannot be more helpful, but I will try and see if there is anything else
Allan
curtishall

Re: Ohh man

Post by curtishall »

treesloth wrote:why can you view tham at 640x480 but I can't. :twisted: :twisted: I did a fresh install of bluecherry with the same specs and get ust a black screen at that resolution

Are you using RTSP or MJPEG?
--
Curtis Hall
Bluecherry
www.bluecherrydvr.com
store.bluecherry.net
treesloth

Still tryin

Post by treesloth »

I am using mjpeg but will try rstp and see if I can see it at 640*480

ohh and I am using the kubuntu zoneminder disc
newvisionantenna

treesloth, if you using the kubuntu disk you need to change your shared memory settings. I'm making a new DVD that will have mapped memory turned on as well as a script that will enable a shared memory version if needed.
treesloth

Update on topic

Post by treesloth »

I have followed a couple instrutcables untill I got video at 640*480.
Thanks for the help, cause it pointed me in the right direction.
Although I am now having trouble logging in from remote. I set up a dyndns account, but it keeps updating to the address within the network, ya know (192.168.x.xxx) I have been trying for a long while now. I went to the site and updated the address to point to the modem, yet still no luck

I can't wait to get some free time and contribute to the project myself.
newvisionantenna

I use a program running on my Zoneminder box that does automatic dns updating with zoneedit a company like dyndns. The home router does nothing but port forwarding while the Zoneminder server does the updating. I'll look at the name of that program when I get a chance and tell you how to set it up. It was pretty much apt-get " " and follow the onscreen directions.