Bottlenecking...need for multiple ZM servers?

Support and queries relating to all previous versions of ZoneMinder
cybergamer

Bottlenecking...need for multiple ZM servers?

Post by cybergamer »

- My setup -

Hardware:
Quad Core Xeon with HT @ 2.8GHz
12GB DDR3 ECC RAM
8x 1TB HDDs in LSI SAS RAID10

Server Software:
Windows Server 2003 x64
VMware Server 2 for Windows

Zoneminder setup:
Debian (running inside a VM allocated two cores and 2gb ram)
Zoneminder

Cameras:
16 320x240 IP cameras running at 3fps
1 640x480 IP camera running at 10fps

Several other VMs run on the server, but they are very light on both CPU and Disk activity.

My issue is that Zoneminder, operating in mocord mode on all cameras, starts to choke when multiple cameras experience alerts and begin saving imagery at once. Remote viewing (via zmviewer for windows) freezes for two to three seconds and upon review of jpegs saved, images from the frozen time period don't exist. They are skipped entirely.

During all of this the very powerful sever's windows 2k3 OS shows only about 25% CPU utilization. The RAID10 array has been tested to continuous writes at over 100MBps for extended periods of time.

My theory is that something is getting jammed up in threading with ZM in the debian VM. I can only allocate two cores per VM, though I have access to 8 (4x2, thx to hyperthreading) on the physical server. This issue did not occur until I added three new cameras, taking me from 14 to 17. The server's overall CPU utilization stayed at ~25% despite the new cameras. I'm kinof thinking this adds up to mean i'm maxing out those threads. 2 of 8 cores is 25%.

The "top" command in debian shows the system idles (all cameras active but none alerting/recording) at about 40% idle. I'm trying to gather data on how high it spikes during multiple alarms, but that's hard in the middle of the night (the only time i have to study it sometimes) when no cars drive by!

If this is indeed the issue, my idea for a fix would be to create a second Debian VM for a second install of zoneminder and give it two different cores...that way i don't have 17 camera processes fighting for two cores. Does this sound reasonable?

I know it's a complex setup, but I'll explain more as needed. Any input is much appreciated. We have plans to add up to 20 more cameras soon. FYI, running outside of VMware isn't really an option right now. The server was purchased for other purposes but has the spare CPU cycles to run this system since it primarily runs many low power VMs for small office use.

EDIT: Confirmed. Studying top in the debian/zoneminder VM during periods of multiple alarm shows the CPU becoming 0% idle for the full several seconds the system freezes. The CPU indicator in windows sits 75% idle the whole time. I'm maxing my two virtual cores in the VM. Anyone have advice on centrally managing (particularly remotely viewing) multiple zoneminder servers at once? Sounds like i'm going to be starting a virtual zm farm.
kingofkya

Post by kingofkya »

I would recommend looking closely at mysql because the stock setting seem to have an issue with zm causeing the threds to lag.

Try tuneing mysql(see quote below)

EDIT: also what type of stream are you using jpeg Mjpeg or mpeg
because Mjpeg is the least cpu intensive capture method

Also if the vm passes MMX code to the cpu try this
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6419
on a normal system it takes cpu from 90 to 20 usage

As a ref on what you would get on a good system (in my opinion)
Heres my zm System
ZMarch
1.6Ghz intel duo (bottom line)
2GB of memory (runs at 350Mb useage)
1.5Tb of HardDrives consumer grade
GUI TURNED OFF
it also runs as a full featured router but thats not important

Cameras I Run
5 1024x480 at 10Fps
&
5 320x480 at 1fps

and my cpu average is between 60-70% spiking to 90% when all are recording and it hasen't been rebooted in 4+ months
TO DO THIS FIRST INSTALL mysqltuner:
sudo -i
apt-get install mysqltuner

STOP ZONEMINDER
/etc/init.d/zm stop

STOP MYSQL
/etc/init.d/mysql stop

EDIT YOUR my.cnf FILE
vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf

UNCOMMENT skip-innodb OR ADD IT IF IT IS NOT IN THERE

MAKE SURE THE THE FOLLOWING PARAMETERS ARE SET:
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 32M
thread_stack = 128K
thread_cache_size = 8
query_cache_limit = 1M
query_cache_size = 24M

ADD THESE PARAMETERS:
tmp_table_size = 32M
max_heap_table_size = 16M

SAVE AND EXIT

START MYSQL
/etc/init.d/mysql start

START ZONEMINDER
/etc/init.d/zm start

IF YOU WANT TO TUNE YOUR OWN SYSTEM, LET YOUR SYSTEM RUN NORMALLY FOR ABOUT 15 MINUTES AND THEN RUN:
mysqltuner

IT WILL ASK YOU FOR YOUR MYSQL ROOT USERNAME AND PASSWORD SO ENTER IT

ONCE YOU ENTER YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD IT WILL GIVE YOU SOME RECOMMENDATIONS. I WOULD GUESS THAT IF YOU APPLY THE ABOVE SETTINGS IT WILL NOT RECOMMEND ANY CHANGES.

You can disregard this:
General recommendations:
Enable the slow query log to troubleshoot bad queries

You will probably find that your system will run with greater efficiency
http://www.zoneminder.com/forums/viewto ... ight=mysql