480 tvl or 540 tvl

Post here to ask any questions about hardware suitability, configuration in ZoneMinder, or experiences. If you just want to know if something works with ZoneMinder or not, please check the Hardware Compatibility sections in the forum, and the Wiki first. Also search this topic as well.
ticapix

480 tvl or 540 tvl

Post by ticapix »

Hi

I've read several doc about TVL definition and resolution definition but there is still something I don't get. How the capture card digitalize the signal from the camera ?

If the following is correct:
- The camera has a number of TV lines: 540 TVL gives finer details than 480 TVL.
- most PC capture card can capture up to 720x480 in NTSC or 720x576 in PAL mode.

Does it means that if I configure the pc card to capture in full D1 in PAL mode, the pc capture card will digitalize the analog signal from the camera with a D1 resolution, and the fact that the camera is 480 tvl or 540 tvl will just change the picture quality ?
And that any PAL camera will be compatible with a PAL capture card ?

In this case, why some vendors give camera characteristics such as 540 TVL and PAL resolution 768x576 ?
Should this camera work with any PAL capture card ?

Best regards,
quietas

Post by quietas »

I have 480tvl cameras and some 420tvl, plus 2 higher 500ish. They all record at 320x240 though. It's a limitation of NTSC and the interlacing issues.

If you want higher res than that, you'll need to go up to IP cameras from what I have read.
KeithB

Post by KeithB »

"Does it means that if I configure the pc card to capture in full D1 in PAL mode, the pc capture card will digitalize the analog signal from the camera with a D1 resolution, and the fact that the camera is 480 tvl or 540 tvl will just change the picture quality ?"

Yes!

And that any PAL camera will be compatible with a PAL capture card ?

Yes! Plus most capture cards allow you to capture both PAL and NTSC cameras, you just change the setting in the DVR software.