Two suggestions/requests - linked zones and day review mode

Anything you want added or changed in future versions of ZoneMinder? Post here and there's a chance it will get in! Search to make sure it hasn't already been requested.
v0n

Two suggestions/requests - linked zones and day review mode

Post by v0n »

Two possible suggestions/feature requests:

1. Linked Zones instead of Linked Monitors

Unless I missed a trick with Linked Monitors - I think linked zones would work better, especially if, like me, you have many wide angle cameras around property:

It would allow logical trigger progression - let's simplify scenario and let's say you have three cameras - wide angle left, wide angle right (with four zones each) and central camera zoomed on gate. Let's say an object enters left camera, movement is detected - at the moment all three linked cameras would be triggered regardless of requirement. With zones linked to monitors instead of monitors linked to monitors if the object entered zone on the right/BOTTOM zone of left camera, gate/zoom camera would automatically trigger regardless of detection expecting ENTRY, if it entered right/UPPER zone of left wide angle camera, right wide angle camera would get triggered to maintain footage of objects progress AROUND property. Zone linking would alert cameras depending on direction of movement rather than object pacing around perpetually keeping all linked cameras alerted. Hope it makes sense?

2. It would be fantastic if in addition to motion detection mode we could choose sort of day review mode.

For example regardless of recorded events or alarms, if we could choose to keep (customisable) one, two or four frames from every minute from any chosen camera to be stored into separate directory creating 1-4 fps review of entire day or 12 hour period played back at regular speed ( as in something like 45 minute version of last 12 hours at 2fps when played back at 29.97 - easy to archive for review regardless of whether alarm events from the same week/month were kept or not).
joeinbend

Post by joeinbend »

Hey V0n, I "second" your request for linked zones; it seems it would allow more granular control of alarm triggers.

I think for your Review mode idea, although not nearly as elegant as just a click of a button, I am sure you could build a Filter that would accomplish this, and dump the frames to a mpg video. I havent sat down and tried it, but based on the available options, I believe it would be possible. I also agree that in the future it would be nice to have this as just a button click option.