Motion Detect Issues

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.28.x releases only.
pjhealy

Motion Detect Issues

Post by pjhealy »

Hello,

I'm running 1.28.1 ontop of a CentOS 7.1 installation. The installation went flawlessly from the RPM and it's an all-IP camera setup. I'm having 2 separate issues.

1) Of the 7 cameras on the system 6 are producing standard 640x480 output. They're all set with modetct and the system seems to be capturing those events. However, at times, the recordings seem to stop before the motion has completed. Is there a setting or change I can make that will extend each recording by a few seconds (ex. 5)?

2) The 7th camera is a Trendnet TV-IP320PI. It generates a fantastic image at 1280x720. You can just about see people's freckles... However, no matter what setting I select when creating the 'zone' the system doesn't always see motion and it never records the entire event. I'm at a loss on this one. I'm hoping there's a solution as the camera was a little more than I wanted to spend, but the image is impeccable.

Thanks,

Pat
aaronl

Re: Motion Detect Issues

Post by aaronl »

Sounds to me like both issues are related, in that it is motion "tuning" related.
When looking at an event playback, if you click on "stills" at the top, you then can see each frame. If you then click on a frame that is outlined in red, then on the bottom left of the image there is a button called "stats". This will pop up the stats for the image, and you can see what it was that caused the motion event to trigger (per frame).
You can use that information to tune the settings in the zone. The defaults in the zone settings are just that, they are a starting point. I've had to tune each of my camera zones differently to prevent false triggers, but still be sensitive enough to catch the motion that is occurring.
This page gives some good fundamentals of what the settings do:
https://wiki.zoneminder.com/Defining_Zones

Also, in the monitor setup, the buffers tab allows you to add an arbitrary amount of pre and post frames to a motion event.

Aaron
pjhealy

Post by pjhealy »

Thanks Aaron! I'll take a look at both. Do you think the zone tweaking will solve the issue with the TI-IP320PI?
aaronl

Post by aaronl »

yeah, I think it can. The stats should help you get it dialed in.
I had one camera that took a good week of tweaking the settings and looking at the stats before I was happy with it and it always triggered on the persons tiny little head. But then I had to change the zone polygon, because the lighting would change in one area and cause a false trigger around sunset.
Now it sees people and only people! (well it would see animals if they were running through my office too.)

Aaron