Multiple Zoneminder servers over 3G

Forum for questions and support relating to the 1.29.x releases only.
c4rd3n

Multiple Zoneminder servers over 3G

Post by c4rd3n »

Hi All

I have been reading all I can find, but can't conclusively convince myself if this is feasible. I have a site that has power, but no hardwired comms. At a number of locations I have 2 IP cameras (1920x1080) connected directly to an embedded type PC (i3, 8Gb Ram, 2x250Gb SSD - RAID1, 4x GB Ethernet). I don't want to have to log into 3 or 4 separate servers to view events, etc. What I want to do is to hit another server that is local to me and has all the cameras connected to the remote servers visible (I can do this) and the events captured by motion at those remote sites visible to me (I can't seem do that) but not necessarily uploaded over the 3G link to the local server unless requested to view them.

When I set up a test platform with a Zoneminder instance on my laptop hitting a Zoneminder instance on a VM, I can see the live stream on the laptop (my local server) but no events. When I log into the remote server (the VM) I can see the live stream and the events I have setup to be triggered from whatever zones I have set.

I don't want to have to set up the motion on the local server as this will kill my 3G data plans as I would need to send all video to the local server for processing. What I want is for all data to be captured and stored at the remote servers and only pull data over 3G if I want to look at a live stream or if I am reviewing an event.

Am I dreaming...Is this even possible?

Regards
Scott
iconnor

Re: Multiple Zoneminder servers over 3G

Post by iconnor »

Yes, it is possible.

What you will need is my storage areas branch. If you are using ubuntu, you can add my ppa using

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:iconnor/zoneminder-storageareas

This is a bleeding edge development version, but it works well for me in production.
It expands on my multi-server work that got into 1.29.0 to make having storage local to the recording server easy.
c4rd3n

Post by c4rd3n »

Thanks Isaac

I am updating both servers and will see how I go. Should I be following your documentation on standard multi-server installs (http://zoneminder.readthedocs.org/en/la ... erver.html), or is everything handled within the web gui under options?

Regards
Scott
cvinh

Post by cvinh »

Dear Scott and Isaac
I also would like to test storageareas branch
iwe installed it but we are stucked for setting it up
would you have any quick steps ?
thanks in advance
best regards
iconnor

Post by iconnor »

cvinh with out some info as to what is going wrong, I cannot help you.
cvinh

Post by cvinh »

Dear Isaac

Thank you for replying.

We installed 2 servers "master" and "slave" with your storageareas ppa (ubuntu 16.04 LTS)
We shared the mysql database which is located on "master" with slave --> everything is OK, we have 2 servers using the same database.
We added a modect camera on each server using the menu (we selected the server for each camera)

It seems that the events are recorded on both servers and that both servers take the 2 cams. We would like to keep the recordings and cpu work on each server because we have a very low bandwidth between the 2 servers.

Did we miss something ?

Thanks in advance and best regards
Cyril